15" sealed subs - simulated F3 values too high ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well ... I ended up building a H frame subwoofer with PRV15W700

I tried seald box, it was huge, and it sounded a bit boxy.
May be heavy bracing will solve the issue to some extent, but I assumed it is not possible to completely eliminate the boxy feel.

So I built a H frame ... sharing the pics (please see the attachments)

Attachments

• H frame2.jpg
    H frame2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 124
Hi All,

I am trying to build sealed subs with 15" pro drivers.
In simulation with 100L box, I am getting the F3 values as shown in the attachments.

Aren't these F3 values too high for subwoofers??
Do they even sound like subs with these values?? Or do they just end up like mid bass?? Will they give tight and punchy bass for music??

We expect subwoofers to go down to 20hz or lower. So I am wondering if higher F3 is ok with larger drivers like 15" or 18"??

Should i look at drivers with rubber or foam surrounds?? Does it matter much?
I dont want boomy bass. Good transient responce is important for music.

Thanks in advance

Hmm. Eminence Alpha 15A? I can get better than F3 of 53Hz in an open baffle of 120cm x 60cm. To do that usefully, it has a 2nd order 200Hz lowpass, and it doesn't go over about 100dB. Pretty sure they're not really sub drivers at all...

My current bass boxes are 12" Lambda's (now from AE) in 60l each (sealed). The design says they're down 12dB@20Hz, but in room and with sufficient amplifier grunt, they satisfy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.