M&K sub with Klipsch driver issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope I posted in the proper place. If not, feel free to steer me in the right direction. I have a Miller and Kreisel V-125 subwoofer, with a Klipsch 12" driver. With nothing hooked up to it at all except that it's plugged in to the wall, I can barely touch the volume pot and it makes a loud screetching noise like a 500 lb mouse and stops. Also, the driver will make a loud booming noise. I cleaned the pot with some electrical cleaner, but nothing changed. So I checked the pot with my multimeter and it gave me some bad readings. Very inconsistent and jumping resistances. I'm about to replace the volume pot, but noticed 2 resistors that have some "browning". They are the white ceramic type, so it's easy to see the discoloring. I feel I need to replace them, but haven't been able to find them. Any idea where to get them? Both are BENNIC 5w1k5rj resistors. I will post pics. And will also post pics of the 2 biggest caps. They look ok to me, except the top of one has the paint coming off. Neither are leaking or look bulged at all. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• res1.jpeg
    res1.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 71
  • res.jpeg
    res.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 2res.jpeg
    2res.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 77
  • caps1.jpeg
    caps1.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 77
  • caps.jpeg
    caps.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 81
Well actually I haven't tested them. Do they need to be removed from the board before I test them? I'm just learning to do this kinda stuff. I've worked on computers for years, as well as TV's, cell phones, etc. But I've never actually replaced very many components. I have always just replaced the whole thing. Of course that gets expensive, so I decided to try fixing what I have. I'll get the pot today sometime and will post the results in case it helps someone. Thanks for the reply!

At first, you can test them on the board. If the measured value is higher than indicated, they are faulty. If the measured value is lower, try removing them and measure again. It is more likely that the solder has cracked. Check the solder on the legs of all components that get hot (transistors, large resistors) or are subject to mechanical stress (connectors, switches, pots).

Pops and crackle when you touch the volume pot, without a source connected, can mean that dc is flowing through the pot, indicating that there is a leaky coupling cap somewhere in the preamp circuit. It shouldn't directly cause screeching though. It might if the dc causes a preamp stage to saturate, which I have seen on one amplifier I repaired. I think this caused a feedback loop from amplifier --> current drawn from amplifier power supply --> voltage sag on power supply --> preamp signal follows power supply voltage --> amplifier. This amplifier and preamp shared a power supply, if they are separate this cannot occur.

Last edited:
I replaced the volume pot and it seems to be fine. The low pass filter adjustment doesn't seem to be doing anything and the pot feels much like the volume did before I replaced it. Kinda loose and hardly any resistance when I turn it. It is a 2 wire, 10k linear phase pot, can I replace it with a 10k linear pot with 3 poles and just not use one of the outer poles? Thanks in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.