Highest efficiency woofer for sealed enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I am looking for the highest efficiency woofer for use in a 65 liter enclosure with extension down to about 45 Hz -6 db.

Best I've found so far are the Peerless SLS 12 which is 90 db/w.
Are there any other good candidates? Possibly with even higher efficiency?

here's a Dayton 15 in a 3rd order 65 liter box. The amp has to have low output impedance and capacitor low losses.

7icH8h6.png

Hi!

I am looking for the highest efficiency woofer for use in a 65 liter enclosure with extension down to about 45 Hz -6 db.

Best I've found so far are the Peerless SLS 12 which is 90 db/w.
Are there any other good candidates? Possibly with even higher efficiency?

If your primary goal is efficiency, arrays are the way to go. For instance, a pair of B&C 10NLW64-16 will give you and efficiency of close to 100dB when wired in parallel for an 8ohm load.

Speaker B&C Speakers 10NDL64, 16 ohm, 10 inch

Keep in mind that output is dictated by displacement, not efficiency, and if output is your goal, efficiency is kinda irrelevant. The only reasonable time to obsess over efficiency is if you have limited amounts of power.

the 65 liter closed box (40-ish Hz :D) WINNER ! (?) = Two Large Advent woofers in parallel , 2V drive, 1100uF series capacitor

that cheap Peavey 15 is really light at 5.4lb

(Eg for the other speakers = 2.83v)

That Peavey 15 looks very interesting indeed! Thanks for that

If your primary goal is efficiency, arrays are the way to go. For instance, a pair of B&C 10NLW64-16 will give you and efficiency of close to 100dB when wired in parallel for an 8ohm load.

I reckon I won't get away with 65 liter sealed then? :D

Keep in mind that output is dictated by displacement, not efficiency, and if output is your goal, efficiency is kinda irrelevant. The only reasonable time to obsess over efficiency is if you have limited amounts of power.

I'm a big fan of the sound characteristics of high efficiency speakers.
And the less power for a given SPL equals less distortion as well.
Which is probably why I like them. The sound is effortless.

The 15" I've tried, was the RS from Dayton Audio. Cant remember if it was the HO or HF version though.

Thanks, I'll do some simulations between this one and the Peavey Pro 15 and see which comes out on top.

.... less power for a given SPL equals less distortion as well.

Ive got a lot to learn. I wonder if you can help me understand how that works please?

I tired to see is there was any apparent correlation for 18" drivers HD measurements vs Sn using Data-Bass but couldn't really see anything with a quick glance. I was a bit surprised as the high Sn drivers look pricier and I expected they would perform better on HD.

Do low efficiency drivers sound worse when they heat up?

Ive got a lot to learn. I wonder if you can help me understand how that works please?

Obviously there are a lot more factors that play into this, but you can certainly say that distortion rises with input power.
Most amps also sound their best at low output.

I tired to see is there was any apparent correlation for 18" drivers HD measurements vs Sn using Data-Bass but couldn't really see anything with a quick glance. I was a bit surprised as the high Sn drivers look pricier and I expected they would perform better on HD.

If HD measurements are all done at 1 watt, then there will be no difference.
Do the measurements at a given SPL, then that's another story.

Do low efficiency drivers sound worse when they heat up?

Not sure how heat affects distortion, but I would imagine so?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.