Ported Sub to Tapped Horn. Few questions before starting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
THAM12 RCF MB12N351 - 40V hits xmax - nice little cabinet

1tuc9ro.png

king (really) ! And to finish in beauty, here my decisive question before building the boxes / choosing the drivers :

Alright, I am now debating on the choices of the mid-range drivers. Regarding the fact that I'm interested only in the frequency range from 150Hz to 1Khz, which driver will sound louder in this range ? I'm curious how to do the calculations in advance instead of going to a shop. I know also that the sensitivity is per Watt, but I also know that most of the Watts are needed for the low frequencies (which I will not use in this case). No problems about the amplifier, it has much enough juice to power them both (I'm applying a limiter on my dsp in order to not burn the drivers)

- RCF MB12N351 - 12" Mid Bass 99 dB sensibility / 650W RMS
- RCF MR10N301 - 10" Sealed Basket 102 dB sensibility / 300W RMS

As don't plan to use the MB12N351 for bass frequencies, I still wanna figure out if they will sound louder in the midranges than the MR10N301. Hope I'm not too much off topic from the original post ^^

looks to me that midrange using an active 300Hz 4th order highpass, would handle 40 volts peak to hit its 1mm xmax. Can THAM12 work well to 200Hz?

btw, I had to fudge Vas vs the 2 liter published figure to get their mmd

The passive filter is "off" in the first and second pictures. "On" in the third where it gives a bit of "boost" from pulling
the impedance down. With that particular passive filter, the excursion is ~2.3mm @210Hz @40v input.

Which amplifiers are you going to use? I'm curious about battery power for a party.

kVXaLYx.png

Last edited:
explain what you want compared and I'll try to simulate it.

You are right, Im not accurate enough. So I want to compare, at 600W power and between 150Hz and 1,5Khz frequency range :
1 x MB12N351 in a sealed enclosure with a volume of ~ 20 Liter
1 x MR10N301 with no enclosure (doesnt need it)

In a less technical way, I wanna know which one sounds louder giving the same juice.

the 10" is a bit louder - but at 600 watts nominal drive, its 1.4mm Xmax is exceded below ~500Hz when using a 4th order 160Hz highpass filter. The 12" woofer with 5.5mm spec is "ok" although that's a lot of cone movement. In practice Ik doubt if 600 watt peaks would be there but I'm ignorant as to PA work.and speakers in general. FWIW I think the 12" midbass looks better for this application.

(I thought its xmax was 1mm - still 1.4mm is hit around 400Hz)

maybe 2 less expensive speakers in parallel could outperform these (?)

8Vu7e2o.png

Last edited:
Also, I was wondering : can i use the ROAR designs with a midbass driver and hope to cover the frequency range from 40Hz to 1Khz with only one enclosure / driver or it's too risky ?

I saw that THAM is not an option in this fashion, but the ROAR seems to be "linear in it's variations" from 300Hz. There is "only" this drop between 170Hz-250Hz that concerns me at my level

ROAR12-18SOUND-12LW1400-spl.png

Any help ?

The idea is to put in parallel two same drivers in two different enclosures in order to get both :
- powerful bass frequency on the tapped horn enclosure
- a linear curve from 200hz to 800hz in the vented/closed enclosure

Is this a good idea ?

Thanks again !

Hi again :) I answered myself and decided to stay for now with a vented enclosure and a 2 way system and with this design (even if I will build this THAM15 at some point !) : http://www.lean-business.co.uk/SPEAKER_PLANS/CIARE 15.00 SW DUAL REFLEX.pdf

Regarding the drivers, I hesitate between these two as the main goal is to get the most linear response from 40Hz to 800Hz :
RCF LF15N401 - 15" Woofer
RCF MB15N401 - 15" Mid Bass

Problem is Im getting 2 different sims when I design the enclosure on BassBoxPro and WinISD
freddi maybe you can help me this ? I wanna send 800W and don't know if I should listen to BassBox (and go with the MB15N401) or WinISD (and go with LF15N401 as the difference between the 2 drivers is not significant)

SoundSystem.JPG
winisd.JPG

Thanks !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.