Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ported Sub to Tapped Horn. Few questions before starting
Ported Sub to Tapped Horn. Few questions before starting
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2019, 11:46 AM   #21
suparub is offline suparub
diyAudio Member

and 38Kg (driver included) for the SS15, not bad but 10Kg more than the THAM15. Any quick way how could I compare the performances of the lf15n401 on the SS15 vs the THAM15 ?

Also, I know 12mm plywood is not recommanded for drivers that are getting more than 500W, but should I try it and renforce some part of the enclosures ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss.JPG (58.9 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by suparub; 29th June 2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: update
Old 30th June 2019, 06:55 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi again guys, so as the weight is a critical limiter in my case, and having compared the enclosure weights of my actual ported one and the Tapped Horn ones, I'm debating if I should upgrade to a TP or just improve the design of the vented one.

Weights :
Actual : 10Kg
THAM15 : 30Kg (the lightest TP and already very heavy for me).

So on, does anyone would recommend a simple design (not forcelly TH) that would be ligther "woodwize" with this driver ? As it's a Neodium magnet it's supposed to perform well in smaller cabinets. I'm open to anything (among ported designs).
Old 1st July 2019, 12:42 AM   #23
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

The main thing is getting enough stiffness, so panels as thin as 1/4" with more bracing can reduce weight considerably with the trade-off being build complexity. Of course as weight drops, the more speakers can 'dance', so either need to have stacks of them or some way to couple them to the floor/whatever.

The ROAR series with its 'rat's maze' layout would be my choice and start with just a 1/4" BB ply/epoxy construction and brace with small hardwood dowels as required.

GM

Last edited by GM; 1st July 2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 1st July 2019, 03:19 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

It would make a enclosure of 20/25kg indeed. But wow that's pretty thin. I'll ask on the relevant thread what other think. Thanks for the input GM
Old 1st July 2019, 03:28 AM   #25
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

from what I can see, on the low end, for practical purposes, THAM15 and SS15 are the "same" enclosure. The larger cabinet has a bit more "hit". Both exhibit ~.the same excursion and tuned ~ the same.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st July 2019, 04:04 AM   #26
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suparub View Post
It would make a enclosure of 20/25kg indeed. But wow that's pretty thin. I'll ask on the relevant thread what other think. Thanks for the input GM
You're welcome!

Not really since stiffness is primarily a function of span, so construct something like a 'bird cage' Maserati's frame and build [have built] it out of corrugated cardboard or that super thin/cheap paneling for indoor use: http://www.autominiaturen.be/data/ar...oom/m_3875.jpg

Another I've used for outdoors are made with epoxy impregnated cardboard: epoxy impregnated cardboard boxes - Google Search

Obviously, if tall, heavy weights are stacked on top, crowd abuse/whatever is an issue, then this dictates materials/construction used, otherwise no need to overbuild, just don't be doing much in the way of dropping unless the corners are triangulated and have corner protectors.

GM
Old 1st July 2019, 04:32 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
from what I can see, on the low end, for practical purposes, THAM15 and SS15 are the "same" enclosure. The larger cabinet has a bit more "hit". Both exhibit ~.the same excursion and tuned ~ the same.
Thanks again for the analysis boss !

Quote:
Another I've used for outdoors are made with epoxy impregnated cardboard: epoxy impregnated cardboard boxes - Google Search
Wow that an surprising material to use, It is as reliable as PLY in the long term ? And yes the enclosures will def be for outdoor use.

By the way, kind of a newbie question : will there be a big DB / max SPL / Audio difference if I build 2 x THAM15 (wired in //) vs 1 x ROAR15 ? Im studding the options between sound power and weight
Old 1st July 2019, 05:10 AM   #28
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
will there be a big DB / max SPL / Audio difference if I build 2 x THAM15 (wired in //) vs 1 x ROAR15 ?
Green-red line is two THAM with 1800 watts each compared to one single ROAR15 with 1800 watts (grey line).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1roar-vs-2tham.JPG (78.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 1st July 2019, 05:52 AM   #29
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

fwiw, here's two THAM15 at 500W (250 each) vs on ROAR15 at 500W

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st July 2019, 06:21 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Heroes !! Ok the choice is almost made ^^ now looking into dimensions

For info, weightwize with 12mm ply :
Option 1 (2 x THAM15) 40kg
Option 2 (1 x ROAR) 45kg

I just can't realize yet if the perceived "sound power" / SPL difference between 60Hz and 100Hz will be noticable / worst it. I know that +10DB double the perceived sound so 6DB should be +50% difference in this range. The use if for outdoor open air fields.

Edit : ok now I realize

Audition.JPG

Last edited by suparub; 1st July 2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: ok now I realized :)

Ported Sub to Tapped Horn. Few questions before startingHide this!Advertise here!