Designing subs for music only

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current idea is for stereo subs. Two 8" Peerless SLS drivers per channel (L&R) opposed on either end of a 12" Sonotube. They will be horizontally mounted on stands. They will be in a sealed alignment (~28 liters per pair of subs). A minidsp 2x4HD to cross them over and incorporate a Linkwitz Transform so they play to ~30hz in my smallish listening room. The minidsp will also be used as a pre-amp and DAC. They will compliment a pair of 6.5" bookshelf speakers which should work well crossed over ~100hz. Each subwoofer channel will get ~160 watts, so 80 watts per sub driver. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
Michael

My suggestion would be to ditch the Linkwitz Transform and measure what the speakers do in your room.

For instance, I'm listening to a pair of 8" drivers right now (Seas H1252) which are in sealed boxes of about 30L each. I've got them in the corners of my room and the bass response has a peak at 70Hz and another at 40Hz. -3dB point is somewhere around 10Hz.
This is in stark contrast to the simulations, which suggest a -3dB point around 50Hz.

My point is this: your room will alter the frequency response hugely. Below 100Hz, it's important to consider subs + room as a system, and correct the overall response. Applying a Linkwitz Transform will flatten the response of the subs, but doesn't account for your room at all.

Chris

Agree.

One way to setup the crossover is as follows: EQ / filter the mains and subs separately. Make the mains follow a Linkwitz-Riley 4th order (LR4) high pass at your listening position, while the subs follow a LR4 low pass. Then apply time delay to both mains OR both subs to time align them, if required. LR4 can be replaced by another filter if you like.

My fav is running sub with the main speakers, it blends better vs. a 100hz crossover point between mains and sub. Less volume, more distortion, yea yea, but the bass isn't dragging behind either.
Letting the mains and subs overlap results in having four low frequency sources, which has the same advantages as a multi subwoofer setup.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.