Two questions on subwoofer crawl ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

While doing subwoofer crawl, we place the sub at our sitting location. But should we place it on the floor?? Or at ear height ??

Second question is...
How to do subwoofer crawl for dual subs??
We place the sub at sitting location, and then identify "two" different locations in the room that gives better bass. And then place the subs in those two locations. Is this correct ??

Thanks in advance,
Naveen

1st question, place the sub at ear height.

2nd question I'm not sure. I think I'd find a good position for the 1st sub using the crawl method then place the 1st sub at that position, put the mic at listening position and move the 2nd sub around to find a spot where it smooths out the 1st sub best.

Depends on whether you're setting up for just one seat or multiple seats as well.

Rob.

edit: was typing this while Brian posted.

If its for just one seat, one option is to put one or both subwoofers right next to you (like side tables for your listening chair). This would place you almost in the near field and room modes would therefore be of no concern. You will also be very near the sub(s), and so the apparent sound will be louder than when the sub is elsewhere in the room and you will get more effective SPL.

If its for just one seat, one option is to put one or both subwoofers right next to you (like side tables for your listening chair). This would place you almost in the near field and room modes would therefore be of no concern. You will also be very near the sub(s), and so the apparent sound will be louder than when the sub is elsewhere in the room and you will get more effective SPL.

It is good advice, but only applicable to those who have a dedicated room.
And a non-existent WAF factor !

;)

For those who want more details ...

" Positioning the Woofers "

The Ariel and the ME2

Putting the woofers on the left and right sides of the couch might seem like a weird borrowing from the boom-boom autosound people, but it's not. Think of this as near-field bass. Instead of filling the entire room, the listener is in the near-field over the entire passband of the woofer. This provides two important advantages: the room doesn't get to screw up the bass response, and better yet, the requirement for woofer excursion and amplifier power is greatly decreased, since the system is really just a big open-air headphone.

Get a cheap microphone and measure the response at your listening position. The subwoofer crawl is old fashioned.

However, moving a mic is usually a lot easier than moving a subwoofer ;)

Just set up the subwoofer at the listening position, then measure its response at various locations in the room. Then move the subwoofer to the location that measured the best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.