Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Use floor as one side of a port or mouth
Use floor as one side of a port or mouth
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Use floor as one side of a port or mouth

Just a fast idea - Could one using a seal have the floor act as one side of a port or mouth in a ported or horn enclosure?

Cheers!
Old 22nd June 2019, 12:52 PM   #2
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yes, as long as the enclosure does not vibrate relative to the floor.

Last edited by TBTL; 22nd June 2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 22nd June 2019, 02:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oh yes. I guess some weight and 3-point rest would be in order. Maybe use a piece of seal as each resting point?
Old 25th June 2019, 12:18 AM   #4
tommus is offline tommus  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the unbraced cabinet sides will be flapping from the sound pressure. I would not do this... just to save a piece of plywood? Or do you have very attractive floors?
Old 25th June 2019, 08:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Attractive floors could be a reason to do it. I dont have a project where i need it. Was just an idea. Your post made me think that yes it would need some bracing. Ive had an idea about a portable speaker where I could store a toolbag/bucket/toolbox to bring on my job. I guess the tools could use the bracing as part of the mount.
Old 25th June 2019, 12:07 PM   #6
tommus is offline tommus  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, let me clarify... a well-joined edge of a box is going to give you the best rigidity and "bracing" even if there is no actual "brace." It's like an I-beam versus a flat strip of steel, the geometry is what is making it stiff.

If you are pumping intense bass frequencies through a box that has corners without at least two faces meeting, it will "flap" and cause distortion. The larger the box is compared to the thickness of the box material, the worse this will be.

If you are building a portable system with a small subwoofer and are using stiff ply, then maybe an open edge/corner wouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 25th June 2019, 12:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh yes. Probably wont go after loud or very low extension for my portable boombox/tooltrolley?.

Use floor as one side of a port or mouthHide this!Advertise here!