Karlson secrets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
YouTube

I know several of us should be interested in this, especially freddi *

Unfortunately it's in French ! But he does write a number of useful looking simple calculations onscreen, which could prove helpful.

Vance Dickason's book is used as a design reference, so the English version can be located.

What i realised for the first time, with this build, is shown in my screenshot. It appears to me, to have these three design elements all working together, plus the usual elements in front of the cone, not shown in my screenshot.

The ones in front are seemingly a combination of a number things. Semi bandpass, Restrictor. And whatever you want to call the curved wing shapes.

So all in all, there's a lot going on ALL at once ! No wonder trial & error must be very frustrating building these.

What are your thoughts on my analysis ?

Attachments

• K.png
    K.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 460
I'm not good at figuring them out.

here's a tidbit - a letter from John Karlson to the late Martin C. Poppe which led to the development of Karlson's asymmetric projector series of "clam/klam" speakers with the Karlson AP100/Oliver Magna-Clam being the large portable model loaded with Altec 421 and K-tube with University Sound compression driver and the AP9C ceiling speaker for a 6x9 driver.

This letter also mentions K15's "shelf" function. According to the late Wayne Green, K15's prototype testing was finished sometime in the summer of 1951. The Karlson enclosure aka "K15" made its official debut at the 1952 Hotel New Yorker Audio Show.

mf65m0a.jpg

MF4Opbf.jpg

AP9C - Karlson's stamped steel ceiling speaker for a 6 x 9 driver
QLvQ3th.jpg

Oliver ad for the Karlson AP100/ "MagnaClam"
a2uYY4b.jpg

my old klam15 tured out rather nice - its back chamber could be made smaller
and would shorten the structure by a few inches.
YouTube

John Karlson and Jess Oliver with the Oliver Phase III speaker
py8Qkjp.jpg

Last edited:
Karlson's two main speaker patents

Subjectively - sometimes = Karlsons are the best. Objectively, they can reduce distortion including modulation distortion. GregB's "Karlsonator" is an interesting variation and currently more popular than the originals. FWIW I prefer K12 to
Peavey's FH1. The slotted pipe tweeter is something else I would pick within its range and sensitivity for a practical
Karlson device.

Karlson's Ultra-Fidelity enclosures pretty much had a 2:1 rear to front chamber volume ratio. The Asymmetric projector, 1:1.

A slotted pipe is not a universal replacement for a horn but an alternative which may work well in a certain area.

Npy0c6X.png

Last edited:
@Zero D - yeah it has TH and front resonator elements. I'm not sure what the French guy's analysis will ultimately show.

here's a better picture of the Oliver Magna-Clam ad. (same as Karlson's AP100 which were once installed at Radio City Music Hall)

I think AP100 and the Oliver Magna-Clam had pressure relieve aperiodic vents on their baffles.

rTTavIU.jpg

When I went shopping for a HiFi system in 1956-57, Karlsons were all the rage. Leonard Audio in NYC had their second floor showroom filled almost exclusively with dozens of them in sizes from 8-inches to 15-inches (which is what we brought home). Fabulous sound, a perfect cello reproduction.

B.

Last edited:
@Zero D - yeah it has TH and front resonator elements. I'm not sure what the French guy's analysis will ultimately show.

here's a better picture of the Oliver Magna-Clam ad. (same as Karlson's AP100 which were once installed at Radio City Music Hall)

I think AP100 and the Oliver Magna-Clam had pressure relieve aperiodic vents on their baffles.

Thanks for All the links & info etc :)

excerpt from Karlson's 1961 letter to Poppe

7bvteqk.png

When Karlson referred to the 12 inch cabinet having a parabolic front chamber , did he
mean the K12 introduced around 1956 and published as a project in the July 1958 issue of Popular Mechanics?

Mc684UA.jpg

Last edited:
hey GM & guyz - what do you think would be the best way to sim this Thai "mini Karlsonator" for 18" from a MrFlexy YouTube video in Hornresp ? - eyeing, chamber ratios look 2:1. Having a vent "blowing" towards the narrow part of the aperture may have some effect.

eVUq03K.png

just looking at Mr Flexy's "Mini Karlsonator" for 18" as a series bandpass box, gives a pretty poor response. IF it works, then perhaps the narrow portion of the aperture is doing something not seen in the BP6A model - ?

The inner port area may be more like ~460 sq.cm. - but that doesn't seem to help the response curve shape.

3VJLv31.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.