Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

short ports, big bass.
short ports, big bass.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2019, 08:09 AM   #1
RobThomas is offline RobThomas
diyAudio Member

Default short ports, big bass.

Hi,

In the tests I've done on my 11 litre bluetooth box I've ended up with two 200mm ports, each 20X50mm, for the two 5" drivers. Any bigger and it becomes difficult to bend them around the box.

I realize this may be a stupid question but I was wondering how come I see other designs with a large port diameter but seemingly very little depth.

For example: DiamondBoxx - Portable Bluetooth Boombox Speaker

Regards,
rob
Old 21st June 2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, because it's a combination of factors that determine that.

Box volume & tuning frequency. For the same fb you can juggle the port's length & width. But, a bigger width = longer length & vice versa. And, smaller overall area of the port's = more chance of chuffing noises.

For eg, on the XL2 - The King 1000 Watts 14 Speakers Deep Bass – DiamondBoxx it's Two 3 inch (76mm) Helmholtz resonators, tuned to 42 Hz

short ports, big bass.Hide this!Advertise here!