Laminar ports

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

Does anyone know how to calculate laminar ports, as I know they can be made shorter/ narrower than conventional ports because of less distortion.

RzwyBo6.jpg

all the best
August

Hello

Does anyone know how to calculate laminar ports, as I know they can be made shorter/ narrower than conventional ports because of less distortion.

RzwyBo6.jpg

all the best
August

You would do well to read the linked paper, perhaps some other papers as well. By narrower, I am assuming you mean smaller cross sectional areas? If that's the case, then no, that will be less linear than a larger port cross section, at anything other than small signal levels and low sound pressure levels.

Port compression effects set in at fairly low drive levels, velocities above 10m/second have been shown to cause losses.

Round ports are the most ideal shape if they can be fitted to the enclosure, second to that a square port. Rectangular ports that have a wide cross section but limited height will have more frictional losses than a round port. ( higher reynolds number )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.