Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wavecor SWxxx 10"/12" subs
Wavecor SWxxx 10"/12" subs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2019, 09:21 AM   #1
Sebastian K is offline Sebastian K  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Wavecor SWxxx 10"/12" subs

Hello all,
Has anyone got experience with the 10 and 12 inch subs from Wavecor?

Link to manufacturer's website: Subwoofers

To me the "automotive" SW312TU01 and SW263TU01 look good on paper for a home multisub arrangement of four units. These two especially are designed for very small closed boxes (less than 30 liters!), which I would run with a DSP and one channel of Class D amplification each. That way, I may even use individual EQ and delay for each.

Features that I like about them:
  • long stroke
  • low mechanical losses (Rms) / high Qm
  • heavy aluminium cone
  • low inductance by means of demodulating rings
  • good reputation of manufacturer

Click the image to open in full size.

What I'm not so sure about:
1. the huge surround which looks odd, a lot like a bicycle inner tube. This looks like it will wobble due to the high pressure inside the small boxes. Or, is that no problem for subwoofer operation?
2. my inability to find tests*, builds, or opinions. Usually not a good sign! If you have found any test or build with these please let me know. Thanks!

*except in HobbyHifi magazine, but no build followed AFAIK

Last edited by Sebastian K; 16th June 2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: speling ;-)
Old 16th June 2019, 11:26 PM   #2
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Those drivers look sweet, and the specs look good too. If I could afford them, I'd certainly try them in a build...
Old 17th June 2019, 05:08 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Just depends on its cone, spider, surround construction, though with a relatively tiny Vas, it should be plenty stiff enough to remain linear to at least Xmax. Anyway, sometimes no news is good news .

GM
Old 17th June 2019, 06:38 AM   #4
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

The smaller SW223BD03 has been tested by Audio Xpress with good results:
Test Bench: Wavecor SW223BD03 8.75-Inch High XMAX Subwoofer | audioXpress
Old 17th June 2019, 07:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Brian, the thing is that I can get them for less than 200€ each. While a multisub setup is never cheap, I can accept this. Regular retail price in Europe is around 350€/ea. I usually calculate the Vd/price ratio (with Vd=Sd*Xmax, the volume displacement). At that price point, I've yet to find anything close - on paper that is. But I'd rather get some input before I buy, this is serious money.

GM and TBTL, thanks for the info.
Cms is 0.23 mm/N, that's quite stiff (PA terretory). And the test by Dickason you linked is some indication that this company is at least able to make a good long throw sub.

Manufacturer does not provide frequency response, although the impedance curve indicates a single cone breakup at 1.6kHz, much like the SW223BD03 but lower.

Some people* hate subs with surrounds that large. It may be a psychological thing, or this kind of sub makes serious compromises.

*yes, these are weasel words
Old 17th June 2019, 10:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just noticed that this very thread is high in search rankings. Whem I'm searching for term "Wavecor SW312TU01":
DuckDuckGo: 5th place
Startpage.com: 9th place
Google: not shown (35 results total)

These models seem to be ignored completely by the community.
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

One thing is certainly not good (as in other subwoofers for small enclosures): Power compression. This is not a PA driver, like the Fane wideband that I want to use them with.

OTOH, while sensitivity is not high at 86dB/1W/1m, it is still better than much of the competition, also thanks to low mechanical losses. And, I see no better choice for there are box size constraints.
Old 26th June 2019, 06:45 PM   #8
heinz1964 is offline heinz1964  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi

I am currently using two of the HiFi cousins of these, SW310WA01 (8 ohm) per channel in an OB.

They sound amazing, I will probably go from normal OB to a W-baffle with them because they make the baffle ( 38 mm Nyatoh hardwood) vibrate way too much.

For that price you can not go wrong.

best regards
uwe
Old 26th June 2019, 08:41 PM   #9
papasteack is offline papasteack  France
diyAudio Member

Just a few consideration, after some too much glass of white wine...Only 50mm voicecoil + high Qm with only one spider => centering problems => rocking modes at long excursion ? From what i've readen, remembered, interpreted, it should be a problem. If it had 2 distant voicecoil as do for example celestion (as car audio !), i would be more confident in this driver.
Monacor raptors are a bit extreme from this point of view with their outside spider, cerwin vega tryed too on cone side.
Bjorno, that seems here to really know better than a lot of us here, already claimed to like wavecor stuff, so maybe my worries are not so much of a concern...

Last edited by papasteack; 26th June 2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 30th June 2019, 05:24 PM   #10
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard these, but I would have no reservations about performance. Every Wavecor driver I have used (maybe a dozen or so at this point) has been exceptional. Top notch build quality and excellent motor design across the board.

Wavecor SWxxx 10"/12" subsHide this!Advertise here!