Wavecor SWxxx 10"/12" subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
Has anyone got experience with the 10 and 12 inch subs from Wavecor?

Link to manufacturer's website: Subwoofers

To me the "automotive" SW312TU01 and SW263TU01 look good on paper for a home multisub arrangement of four units. These two especially are designed for very small closed boxes (less than 30 liters!), which I would run with a DSP and one channel of Class D amplification each. That way, I may even use individual EQ and delay for each.

Features that I like about them:
  • long stroke
  • low mechanical losses (Rms) / high Qm
  • heavy aluminium cone
  • low inductance by means of demodulating rings
  • good reputation of manufacturer

SW263TU01-picture.jpg

What I'm not so sure about:
1. the huge surround which looks odd, a lot like a bicycle inner tube. This looks like it will wobble due to the high pressure inside the small boxes. Or, is that no problem for subwoofer operation?
2. my inability to find tests*, builds, or opinions. Usually not a good sign! If you have found any test or build with these please let me know. Thanks!

*except in HobbyHifi magazine, but no build followed AFAIK

Last edited:
Brian, the thing is that I can get them for less than 200€ each. While a multisub setup is never cheap, I can accept this. Regular retail price in Europe is around 350€/ea. I usually calculate the Vd/price ratio (with Vd=Sd*Xmax, the volume displacement). At that price point, I've yet to find anything close - on paper that is. But I'd rather get some input before I buy, this is serious money.

GM and TBTL, thanks for the info.
Cms is 0.23 mm/N, that's quite stiff (PA terretory). And the test by Dickason you linked is some indication that this company is at least able to make a good long throw sub.

Manufacturer does not provide frequency response, although the impedance curve indicates a single cone breakup at 1.6kHz, much like the SW223BD03 but lower.

Some people* hate subs with surrounds that large. It may be a psychological thing, or this kind of sub makes serious compromises.

*yes, these are weasel words

One thing is certainly not good (as in other subwoofers for small enclosures): Power compression. This is not a PA driver, like the Fane wideband that I want to use them with.

OTOH, while sensitivity is not high at 86dB/1W/1m, it is still better than much of the competition, also thanks to low mechanical losses. And, I see no better choice for there are box size constraints.

Hi

I am currently using two of the HiFi cousins of these, SW310WA01 (8 ohm) per channel in an OB.

They sound amazing, I will probably go from normal OB to a W-baffle with them because they make the baffle ( 38 mm Nyatoh hardwood) vibrate way too much.

For that price you can not go wrong.

best regards
uwe

Just a few consideration, after some too much glass of white wine...Only 50mm voicecoil + high Qm with only one spider => centering problems => rocking modes at long excursion ? From what i've readen, remembered, interpreted, it should be a problem. If it had 2 distant voicecoil as do for example celestion (as car audio !), i would be more confident in this driver.
Monacor raptors are a bit extreme from this point of view with their outside spider, cerwin vega tryed too on cone side.
Bjorno, that seems here to really know better than a lot of us here, already claimed to like wavecor stuff, so maybe my worries are not so much of a concern...

Last edited:
Hi, Jev,
Thanks for the reassuring comments. I however do believe that such surround will at least have some resonance, as can be observed for most drivers (a response dip, which should be 700Hz-ish for a 12"). If not more. Since its area is large, the impact of any misbehaviour is increased. How thick would you judge the rubber surround, BTW?

Hi, papasteack,
Rocking modes could be a possibility, but I've never heard how that would actually affect sound. The magnetic field in the gap should be quite uniform along the circumfence, even if the voice coil would change position slightly that would be of no real consequence I think. Rub and buzz could be an issue of course, but that is easy to detect. Anything I'm missing here?

1.5+ mm, that is massive! I'm thinking that this rubber surround does contribute to centering the cone as well. Makes sense to me.

This unit is intended for automotive application, so any sagging and rocking of the suspension, also under vibrational and thermal stress, should hopefully been taken care of.

Yes, this is subwoofer duty only. Manufacturer's website states 200 Hz as the upper bandwith limit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.