Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help to upgrade my diy subwofers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2019, 12:22 PM   #1
TONI G is offline TONI G  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Help to upgrade my diy subwofers

Hello, I open this thread to get help in improving my current DIY subwofer.

Currently, I have ATS Loudspeakers. Jenzen-ATS

To reinforce the lowest frequencies I use a pair of subwofers in mono (connected in parallel, since the impedance of the subs is 8 omh and the Hypex works at 4 omh) amplified with a Hypex DS 4.0 amplification module.

I use the Perless SLS 12 in a sealed box of about 87 liters.

The perless ones work well but they are not real subs. I must use the eq to reinforce the lowest frequencies. My intention is to "fill out" the frequencies that are not capable of reproducing ATS (below 50Hz)

My question is the following: can anyone recommend subwofers of 12" for sealed box that can reproduce better than the Perless SLS 12? if possible, with a "reasonable" price.

BR

Toni
Old 11th June 2019, 12:44 PM   #2
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Almost all sealed subwoofers use large amounts of EQ to get their low frequency extension, nothing wrong with that and it doesn't make them any less of a subwoofer.

If you want really low bass without EQ then you need a ported or passive radiator design.
Old 11th June 2019, 01:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Almost all sealed subwoofers use large amounts of EQ to get their low frequency extension, nothing wrong with that and it doesn't make them any less of a subwoofer.

If you want really low bass without EQ then you need a ported or passive radiator design.

thanks for answering. The problem for me is not having to use the eq. The problem is that when I use the eq. to increase the response of the perless at very low frequencies, at moderate volume the sub may have problems. I believe that the SLS 12 is more a wofer, not a subwofer. The box I use can allow a reflex output but my first option is a sealed box design for: 1. simpler design and 2. personal taste for the control and sound of a sealed box design.

Anyway, I'm not an expert, and maybe my idea of reaching 25-30 hz with a 12 "sub and sealed box is impossible

regards

Toni
Old 11th June 2019, 01:47 PM   #4
ICG is online now ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONI G View Post
To reinforce the lowest frequencies I use a pair of subwofers in mono (connected in parallel, since the impedance of the subs is 8 omh and the Hypex works at 4 omh) amplified with a Hypex DS 4.0 amplification module.
The Hypex DS work just fine with higher impedances aswell. To use the drivers in parallel isn't a mistake, rather the opposite since the amp got a lot more power on lower impedances.

Quote:
I use the Perless SLS 12 in a sealed box of about 87 liters.
You mean each of them in 87l?

Quote:
The perless ones work well but they are not real subs. I must use the eq to reinforce the lowest frequencies. My intention is to "fill out" the frequencies that are not capable of reproducing ATS (below 50Hz)
That's your problem, you've put them in a way too small enclosure if you put 2 into the 87l, at least that would explain the lack of deep bass.

Quote:
My question is the following: can anyone recommend subwofers of 12" for sealed box that can reproduce better than the Perless SLS 12? if possible, with a "reasonable" price.
Yes, the JBL CS1214 work fine in a sealed enclosures and they are quite cheap.

Help to upgrade my diy subwofers-jbl_cb-png
Attached Images
File Type: png P+JBL_CB.png (23.9 KB, 219 views)
Old 11th June 2019, 03:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
The Hypex DS work just fine with higher impedances aswell. To use the drivers in parallel isn't a mistake, rather the opposite since the amp got a lot more power on lower impedances.

You mean each of them in 87l?

That's your problem, you've put them in a way too small enclosure if you put 2 into the 87l, at least that would explain the lack of deep bass.

Yes, the JBL CS1214 work fine in a sealed enclosures and they are quite cheap.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hello, thank you very much for your detailed response. I use two boxes of about 87 l each.
At present i have de subs in the corners

Last edited by TONI G; 11th June 2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello, thank you very much for your detailed response. I use two boxes of about 87 l each.
At present i have de subs in the corners
The last photo doesn't show corner placement. Nevertheless.. Well, that should give you the most LF output (but not the best sound). If you aren't satisfied with that, you will not be satisfied with a different 12" driver, no matter what brand or type it will be. You either need to go much, MUCH bigger, double 15" BR or use double 18"+, sealed likely 21"+. Try other placements too since corner placement will give you the most low end boost, it will probably give you serious dips too, so positioning the subs differently will likely help you a lot.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:49 PM   #7
daanve is offline daanve  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Toni,

I use a 12 inch Scanspeak 30W/4558 as a subwoofer in a 80 liter sealed enclosure.
Perfect bass reproduction.
Your 87 liter simulates an Fb of ~ 30 Hz with a 0.6 system Q.
With room gain and good placement you will have excellent bass without the need for equalization.
I have a spare new in box 30W/4558.
PM me when you are interested.
Old 12th June 2019, 07:09 AM   #8
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know of a 12" with sealed qtc .707 near 30hz.

15" rss390hf, qtc .707 sealed = 5.5ft3 with f3 near 32hz

18" um18-22, qtc .707 sealed = 9ft with f3 near 26hz, but qtc .9 makes 4.5ft3 for f3 also near 32hz, but stuffing can pull it a squeek lower.
Old 12th June 2019, 07:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The um18-22 isn't exactly cheap though. 422€ over here, PE 300$.

Tony, I think you should try first to place the subs differently and then try to EQ them to see how much more you actually need.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daanve View Post
Toni,

I use a 12 inch Scanspeak 30W/4558 as a subwoofer in a 80 liter sealed enclosure.
Perfect bass reproduction.
Your 87 liter simulates an Fb of ~ 30 Hz with a 0.6 system Q.
With room gain and good placement you will have excellent bass without the need for equalization.
I have a spare new in box 30W/4558.
PM me when you are interested.

Thank you very much for the information.

BR Toni

Help to upgrade my diy subwofersHide this!Advertise here!