Build a music sub with my spares?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find myself wanting some bass reinforcement for my B&W DM110 speakers, and I happen to have a Dayton Audio SA100 plate amplifier, and a Vifa M26WR-29 04 Subwoofer driver laying here doing nothing. The Vifa is a DVC, 4 ohm driver and I am told is designed for a bass reflex enclosure, not a sealed box. The amp is 100 watts into 4 ohms, 75 watts into 8 ohms. Anybody have a great easy way to design a box for this? Would I be better off running both voice coils in series for an 8 ohm load, or just one coil for a 4 ohm load? Thoughts, help, wisdom, designs, opinions?
Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_5291.png
    IMG_5291.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_5290.png
    IMG_5290.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5275.png
    IMG_5275.png
    444 KB · Views: 236
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 236

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
That is just one coild but with these parameters only a sealed or TML or TQWT enclosure will sound good because of the very high Qts. With both parallel the Qts will drop a bit but still be high and you'd need a low impedance amp. Both coils in series will not help with the Qts.
The parameters obviously apply to one coil used. The parameters don't appear to be consistent, the Vas doesn't fit at all (or I'm not thinking about the right measurement units), not cubic feet, cubic inches, not litres. The Qts (if it's correct) predicts a very large enclosure volume.
It would be a great help to help you if you'd measure the parameters yourself.

Regarding the amp, mail or call PartsExpress for informations, they even got the toll free number on the sticker.

Not sure I entirely trust those specs for the Vifa driver. I found them on the web, but am trying to verify their accuracy. I'm thinking if they are accurate, this seems like a free air sub for automotive use more than a home system driver. The enclosure calculations I was getting seem unusually large for a 10" driver, whether sealed or ported. Seems almost like something you would mount in a rear parcel shelf of a car and use the entire trunk as the box.

As for the amp, I think I am all set thanks to Ian and Craig from my earlier post in Solid State amplifiers. I tried Parts express first, of course, and they were no help at all. Even with photos and the serial number of the amp they sold, they couldn't offer any help. Seems they have been selling a completely different plate amp with the same SA100 model number for years, and no one there remembers this earlier version.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Not sure I entirely trust those specs for the Vifa driver. I found them on the web, but am trying to verify their accuracy. I'm thinking if they are accurate, this seems like a free air sub for automotive use more than a home system driver. The enclosure calculations I was getting seem unusually large for a 10" driver, whether sealed or ported. Seems almost like something you would mount in a rear parcel shelf of a car and use the entire trunk as the box.

Well, if you don't trust them.. they're already bad for an enclosure. :rolleyes: Yes, I agree, the parameters look a lot like a free air car driver. It would work well in a TML though, it would not become bigger than the sealed cab, probably even a bit smaller.

I tried Parts express first, of course, and they were no help at all. Even with photos and the serial number of the amp they sold, they couldn't offer any help. Seems they have been selling a completely different plate amp with the same SA100 model number for years, and no one there remembers this earlier version.

I didn't expect that from PE, they usually are very helpful. Okay, that can happen but it shouldn't. Glad you found a resolve on the amp.

So, many thanks to Mark at Meniscus Audio. I stopped by to check out his place, and he graciously ran a couple of subs of mine on his DATS. New data for the Vifa 10" DVC with the coils in series:
f(s) = 40.38
Q(es) = 0.5583
Q(ms) = 5.276
Q(ts) = 0.5049
V(as) = 53.11 lts.
R(e) = 6.725 ohm
Le(1k) = 3.158
Le(10k) = 1.366
M(ms) = 46.52gm

Anybody out there got a good idea of how to use this in a home sub with my SA100 plate amplifier and get any deep, usable bass?
Thanks,
Rick

Doesn't need to achieve a crazy high SPL. The B&W DM110s I want to pair with it are 89db/1watt/1meter and are being driven by my old Denon DRA350, which is a 36 watt/channel amp. If I can get fairly flat response down to 30Hz or so, I think I would be pretty happy. Don't think that is possible with a sealed box. Mark from Meniscus Audio calculated a sealed box just under 1 cubic foot, but that gives an F3 of 65 Hz. So, ported or TML? Or is that going to be a giant box?

I want to pair with it are 89db/1watt/1meter and are being driven by my old Denon DRA350, which is a 36 watt/channel amp. If I can get fairly flat response down to 30Hz or so, I think I would be pretty happy. Don't think that is possible with a sealed box. Mark from Meniscus Audio calculated a sealed box just under 1 cubic foot, but that gives an F3 of 65 Hz. So, ported or TML? Or is that going to be a giant box?

According to Small, it takes ~160 L minimum sealed for 89 dB/m/0.5%, so in 'round' numbers, a 27 Hz Fs/160 L Vas/0.4 Qts or combinations thereof should work, so no way yours will.

The TL like mine will be closest to sealed and arguably superior overall of the two, though BPF1's TH will have more mid-bass potential.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.