advice on driver for a low tuned sealed sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like sealed subs, but most don't go low, but i like to have it low. So i tought maybe i need to try to build one. I would like to hit the 30hz sealed, for hifi applications with an speaker efficiency of 89dB in a sealed config without dsp (sorry, but i hate dsp, it takes away to much of the good sound). Max volume needed is 102dB, so it can be low power, but high power is also good. I would cross it over rather low (100-200Hz) to my tops with a passive crossover. I'll probally drive it with a tube or class AB ss amp (i don't like class D).

It mainly come to find the right driver i think for this, but i did not find it yet. Size of the speaker is less important for me, so the box can be big or small, size of the driver idem.

Can you suggest me drivers that could fit this project. I think i need a low EBP (<50) and fs, and a QTS between 0.4 and 0.7 to do this (but i could be wrong).

And please don't try to send me in an other (ported, horn, TH, TL) direction. I know the advantages of those, but that is not the goal of this project. If it's not possible you think, give me the reasons why (so i can learn).

Thanks in advance.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
you have basically excluded all practical solutions. An efficient driver will require equalisation (DSP) and power at low frequencies as it has a high fs and low Qts (light moving mass powerfull motor). So what you could try is adding extra mass to an existing drivers cone to make an inefficient driver with a low fs, then put it in a big box. Some car audio drivers may already exist that have very heavy moving mass and therefore may be a place to look. There is a reason the driver you want doesn't exist.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Have you looked at the RSS line of subs at Parts express? Either the 10"-12" in HF or HO models (pick you coil resistance, 4r, 8r, or 4+4r) should be able to hit 30-Hz, but you will need to have a decent sized box. I think you may have to use two subs to get that efficiency though.

So you specify the following properties / constraints:

sealed
30hz
hifi application
without dsp
Max volume needed is 102dB (very good: this property can be measured and you put a number on it)
high power draw is acceptable
cross over rather low (100-200Hz)
passive crossover
tube or class AB ss amp (i don't like class D).
box can be big or small

I have marked the performance specifications in green. The red ones are not specifications, they are one step further in the process: they are the outcome of a system design process. In other words: it is not what you want, is is what you think is a means to get there.

You could state your wishes in specifications that are related to performance and can be quantified. For example, 'passive crossover' could mean that the costs should be below $x or that a sub + top can be connected with one cable (I don't know what you had in mind :eek: ). These specifications are set only by you. After these are set, you can take the list to us and together we can think about what box type and driver etc. work best for this situation.

Last edited:
So you specify the following properties / constraints:

I have marked the performance specifications in green. The red ones are not specifications, they are one step further in the process: they are the outcome of a system design process. In other words: it is not what you want, is is what you think is a means to get there. Presumably the red ones can be restated in multiple green ones.

You could state your wishes in specifications that are related to performance and can be quantified. These specifications are set only by you. For example, 'passive crossover' could mean that the costs should be below $x or that a sub + top can be connected with one cable (I don't know what you had in mind :eek: ). After these are set, you can take these wishes to us and together we can think about what box type and driver etc. work best for this situation.

You got it wrong. That it has to be sealed and 30hz is mandatory. Otherwise this project is useless as i already have other subs that go lower. It’s specific a low going sealed sub i want.

If you are using a separate amplifier to power the sub then an analog active crossover with a linkwitz transform would be the obvious non DSP solution. You could even include a parametric EQ for the sub to help tune it to the room. Have a look at Elliot sound products website for some starter ideas.

Edit: If you really want to go passive xo / no EQ then 4th order bandpass would be a good choice. Kind of sealed :D

Last edited:

that is indeed the speaker driver i'm after.

A first modelling with the 8R version goes full flat in a 1250L case (wich is too big), but reasonable (<3dB difference) flat and well below 30hz in a 250L case (wich is a bit big but doable), only the efficiency is a bit low.

But with an active cr it's solvable, and that was the less important condition in my request. I can live with using a active crossover and seperate amp for this sub to combine them with more efficient tops. Or just use an Lpad in the passive cr.

Thanks for giving me a starting point, now the studywork starts how to do this right.

22" MTX Audio T9922-22 Jackhammer : 389.573

Meets all the OP's criteria and much more in 324 L/0.5 Qtc or 87 L/0.707 Qtc @ 20 W, so will probably never even be broke in based on its power ratings, but this much performance doesn't come cheap; on sale for $9500 + delivery [I presume].

GM

That is definitly out of my budget, and way to powerfull for my application. And i heared a sub with it, and did not like it (way to aggressive sounding).

High puffery from manufacturer ("exaggerated or false praise") but seems good.

Low resonance (16 Hz) but bought by selling soul to the devil (half-pound cone assembly).

I wonder about the power handling spec of "300 watt (cont.)" So can it dissipate the heat that a 250 watt incandescent bulb would produce for an hour or so?

Why is it so hard to make a flexible spider with a low mass cone and get low resonance that way? As the OP is looking for.

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.