advice on driver for a low tuned sealed sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Low mms together with low fs is possible. That requires a high compliance and therefore a high Vas (large box) and a weak motor (otherwise Qts will be too low). Old school woofers are built this way. The behaviour of a woofer in a sealed enclosure can be described as a second order high pass with a corner frequency and a quality factor (Qts). The same high pass characteristic can be obtained with a woofer with a higher mms and stronger motor (a modern subwoofer driver), mounted in a smaller box. The latter has a lower efficiency, so it requires more amplifier power.

Assuming the crossover to the main loudspeakers is fixed, this high pass characteristic determines the 'bass speed' and it can be altered with a Linkwitz Transform equalizer.

Last edited:
That is definitly out of my budget, and way to powerfull for my application. And i heared a sub with it, and did not like it (way to aggressive sounding).

Understood, but it's the only one I know of that meets all your specs, basically to show you need to lower your expectations a bit.

Without knowing the sub's alignment, the app's setup, etc., no clue what you mean by 'aggressive', though doubt it was the driver itself based on construction/specs.

Anyway, looks like you're willing to accept low efficiency, huge box, judging by the AE IB sub driver, so good luck with it.

GM

I currently use the dayton 12" hf that someone mentioned previously. They're sealed, and eq'd to flat it does not require any boost to reach 30hz in my room. The bass quality is better than any of the other drivers I've ever used. Just a thought to be sure to consider room gain in your calculations.

To each his own, but after experiencing the amazing difference with room correction, it would be impossible for me to ever go back. Without it, id say that you may be better off with an alignment that does not stay flat all the way down. I have to apply a large amount of cut around 40 hz and it seems many rooms share this quirk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.