Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

EBP Question - Enclosure Type
EBP Question - Enclosure Type
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2019, 10:26 PM   #1
davidhozic is offline davidhozic
diyAudio Member

Default EBP Question - Enclosure Type

Hello,
So i've been designing the subwoofer enclosure of the multi way speaker, EBP is 41.1 Hz which recommends a closed enclosure.
I've asked about this before and I was told it's ok if i went with vented but I just want to make sure so I don't mess up.
I've been using BoxSim to simulate my drivers' performance and it seems to be good according to the simulation.

My question is, how accurate are the boxsim simulations because it seems to be
fine according to Boxsim in a 40 liter vented enclosure? Will it still produce good bass?Does anyone have any experience simulating in BoxSim, and did you get similar results after you've actually built the speaker?

Boxsim project:
4FR10+1WS20e.BPJ - Google Drive

Click the image to open in full size.

Solidworks screen shot of inside the enclosure:

Last edited by davidhozic; 18th May 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 19th May 2019, 04:47 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, 'vented' as in a TL, otherwise one would heavily stuff a BR like it was a TL. No clue how accurate Boxsim is, but you won't get good [mid] bass out of a 40 L BR just as your sim indicates.

GM
Old 19th May 2019, 08:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Well, 'vented' as in a TL, otherwise one would heavily stuff a BR like it was a TL. No clue how accurate Boxsim is, but you won't get good [mid] bass out of a 40 L BR just as your sim indicates.

GM
Ok, would a TL like this be ok?
I do also have some dampening material (wool)
Old 19th May 2019, 09:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Or maybe something like this?

Could you quickly draw where the best placement for the dampening wool is?
And how would I calculate the tuning frequncy out of this?
Btw, I don't want to make it too complex because I don't want the box bigger than it actually is.

Last edited by davidhozic; 19th May 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 19th May 2019, 11:27 AM   #5
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Try Hornresp
Hornresp
Old 19th May 2019, 12:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I also don't want to add too much more wood because it's 28 kg as of now
Old 19th May 2019, 12:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Right, so this is the graph based on the calculation of the whole bottom area being a vent.
Old 19th May 2019, 01:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhozic View Post
Right, so this is the graph based on the calculation of the whole bottom area being a vent.
Also I'll have almost the entire box's walls covered with polyester to dampen them.
Old 19th May 2019, 02:03 PM   #9
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhozic View Post
Also I'll have almost the entire box's walls covered with polyester to dampen them.
Quote:
I don't want to make it too complex because I don't want the box bigger than it actually is.
What bigger? ...And random use of Wall covering Material give no clue at all if its not specified?

Speaker Design is Engineering, You are very inconclusive when it comes to be specific of what the constraints(dimensional) are for the Freestyle Box suggestion. Wishful thinking and severe physical restrictions for the non suitable Driver(WS-20E) will never result in a good FR extension for the 4 smaller FR-10- HM that should use a vertical C-C distance that is shorter than Lambda/4 at an eventual chosen XO frequency in order to defeat unwanted FR response degeneration interference at the Listening Area.

By the way: Boxsim is OK but restricted for simple Shoe-Box Designs and cannot handle internal Box quarter-wave’s like the Superior Hornresp Program do. If the rear Side of a simple Box is converted into an elaborate Air-way Path's like in a TL: Quarter-waves must be considered and properly handled including the correct use of Wall lining Damping Materials that always is needed.

b
Attached Images
File Type: png Is-this-a_Boom-Box.PNG (72.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 19th May 2019, 03:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
What bigger? ...And random use of Wall covering Material give no clue at all if its not specified?

Speaker Design is Engineering, You are very inconclusive when it comes to be specific of what the constraints(dimensional) are for the Freestyle Box suggestion. Wishful thinking and severe physical restrictions for the non suitable Driver(WS-20E) will never result in a good FR extension for the 4 smaller FR-10- HM that should use a vertical C-C distance that is shorter than Lambda/4 at an eventual chosen XO frequency in order to defeat unwanted FR response degeneration interference at the Listening Area.

By the way: Boxsim is OK but restricted for simple Shoe-Box Designs and cannot handle internal Box quarter-wave’s like the Superior Hornresp Program do. If the rear Side of a simple Box is converted into an elaborate Air-way Path's like in a TL: Quarter-waves must be considered and properly handled including the correct use of Wall lining Damping Materials that always is needed.

b
This is my first build so for the most part I don't really know what I am doing.
So you're suggesting I should remove the inner side walls based on the drawing or not? The 4 smaller FR 10 Hm's are in passive radiator enclosures.
What exactly do you mean by the "non suitable driver"? I've contacted Visaton about the best box for it and they've responed it's best for a vented (bass reflex or TL) enclosure.

Here are the messurements you've listed in the screenshot + additional messurements (blue = dampening material placement):
The volume of the entire box without anything in it is 150liters. With the 4 enclosures for the FR 10 Hms and the enclosure where electronics are, It's slightly above 127(On the pictures it might seem like there is no backside, the backside is also 20mm thick but I hid it making the sketch for the view of the back and forgot to enable it again)

Last edited by davidhozic; 19th May 2019 at 03:40 PM.

EBP Question - Enclosure TypeHide this!Advertise here!