Lamp protection for subwoofer drivers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Once or twice in this thread folks have mentioned doing the limiting upstream.

I'd love to do it upstream (and may end up doing so, if they accept my suggestion to replace the current amp with one of the Behringer amps with built-in DSP). However...

1. It's not an option now
2. Knowing what goes on at that bar, I need to ensure that the subwoofer has some sort of built-in protection as well.

I'd love to do it upstream (and may end up doing so, if they accept my suggestion to replace the current amp with one of the Behringer amps with built-in DSP). However...Knowing what goes on at that bar, I need to ensure that the subwoofer has some sort of built-in protection as well.

All good.

Perhaps your best persuasion about protection upstream and bi-amping would be length of service disruption. The hard and the soft limiting in the Behringer DCX2496* means only milliseconds out of service. But a blown fuse or PTC device could be the whole weekend.

And you could still add a cheap fuse in the cab, as you wisely say, but set for higher threshold of limiting, just in case.

B.
*another great advantage is you can set and always re-set the upstream limiting based on experience and circumstances... rather than guess at fuses and PTCs.

Last edited:
Right now I'm trying out a two-stage PTC process. One is directly in series with the driver, and another PTC that's connected in series with a 25 W 3.3 ohm resistor and in parallel with the first PTC. If the first PTC is triggered, the current flow to the driver should be cut quite a bit at Fb and the overall response will be degraded, but not by much. Enough though so that they hopefully notice a difference and turn the volume back down, LOL. I'm trying to come up with a visual way to indicate that the protection circuit has been triggered, but I'm out of ideas at the moment.

... I'm trying to come up with a visual way to indicate that the protection circuit has been triggered, but I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Pretty simple task with a zener diode and LED, not that I'd trust my design.

But big issue that is imponderable without experimenting (sometimes, destructive testing) is cut-off voltages. No one is so naive to think a gross and imaginative spec like Xmax or power handling could be trusted. But hard to make these systems adjustable, except upstream in DSP.

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.