Cervin Vega b-36

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hello all,
anybody knows these? I can get a cheap pair, but with some "tailor made" 15" drivers. They are big, so I bet they can play lower than my Peavey FH-1 copy. See the attachment for plan (it actually says SL-36 on it). The search for SL36 shows some promising numbers, it seems it will do what I expect from the size:)

Attachments

• SL36_15.pdf
    126.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
(my keyboard lost print screen function so here's a few words)

if EL/Sl36 then normally use an 18" and look like the image below. They could play reasonably flat to 50Hz 2 pi - depending upon driver. In a 2 pi sim with Eminence Sigma 18-2, half power occurs around 60Hz (60Hz is also the displacement minimum) then a gentle drop with F10 around 35Hz. A better driver lke Faital's 18hp1060 appears more flat than the Sigma. EL/SL look about the same in sims as the updated Earthquake cabinet mentioned in the "Sensurround" thread.

In one pi, and with 18HP1060, an EL36 sims ~106dB @42Hz vs about 96dB for the FH1. I have FH1 and prefer Karlson including the little "K12".
dIgiXKO.png

Two EL36 in parallel with 18HP1060 in 1 pi at 63 volts input shows 140dB output and 6mm excursion down to 48Hz.

At two foot cabinet depth, B36 had a shorter path by about 2 foot and with a rough sim shows 2 pi rolloff below 80Hz and excursion minimum in that region. I had a pair and they were more a midbass box than bass.

0qDwHT2.jpg

mmRcSSi.png

The drawing you posted is interesting as looks like its been drawn to show a narrowed 15 inch driver version of the deeper cabinet .

If the cabinets are in solid condition, and 90cm or so deep model, then would horn load lower than an FH1.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Freddi, it is exactly as you say - a narrowed version of the deep cabinet with a 15". If it goes down to 40, I will be happy. They are made from 19mm waterproof plywood and will be sold for around 300 dollars a pair, I doubt I could even
get the wood cut for this kind of money.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The driver is a re-wound vintage Tesla, so it can be anything, but these were usually solidly made with good prameters, they lacked in the power capacity, but that is not an issue for a home subwoofer.

I am quite happy with what the FH1 can do in the lows, so I should be happy with this one, too, it will be at the back wall and partially in the corner. I have seen FH1 used above these, so that is something I will definitely try out:)

here's 2 pi ~ 1 watt (2.00v) for a stock width EL36 (bold) vs FH1 when both are loaded with a Klipsch K33E

back chamber volume for EL36 could be reduced by 20-22 liters for some mild improvements (flatter response, less excursion below cutoff) with K33E.

8CjGvol.png

Here's my FH1 outdoors with stock 1504 woofer

HpooFTV.jpg

Last edited:
No it was standing IIRC... and that would not make any difference.

This graph does illustrate a common factor with classic horn subs though, these older designs are based around having a cluster of 4 boxes minimum to have enough mouth area for flat response to the horn cutoff, so with a cluster of boxes that lowered shelf from 50-80hz would fill in and the graph starts to look a lot more like the simulated response.

With the boxes indoors however and especially in a room a lot smaller than say an airplane hanger/gymnasium/ballroom, room gain comes into play and the response of even a single box will change considerably in your favor.

here's a sim of a 2/3 size (24"x24"x18" cabinet) EL36 with Kappa12a - I realized my RCA-Fan midbass horn graphs essentially identical in hornresp and shares its fold so a 2/3 scale EL36 version probably would make a decent little midbass horn - or fairly loud toy.

note: an 0.83 scale SS15 of the same bulk favors the 60Hz range as is tuned ~ 1/2 octave lower than the 0.66 scale EL36

HIC9Qaw.png

CxwQljG.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.