Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rebuilding the Enigma...
Rebuilding the Enigma...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2019, 05:57 PM   #61
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Based on this image, looks like you have the vented magnet in the ported section. I say the speaker should last for awhile since the motor is getting cool air while playing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180203_070321 - Copy.jpg (288.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:03 PM   #62
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Based on this image, looks like you have the vented magnet in the ported section. I say the speaker should last for awhile since the motor is getting cool air while playing.
Nope - magnet's in the sealed section. I did build the original sub over 15 years ago, when I knew a bit less than I know today .
Old 3rd July 2019, 03:50 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

I see the speaker screws now. The flare of the 2 ports almost make a partial circle that could pass as a magnet.
Old 8th July 2019, 10:58 PM   #64
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Will the subwoofer hold up under long-term use? Well, it's only been a week, but it has been used every day of that week for fairly long periods. If it doesn't blow first, I'll do an impedance check on it in a few months to see if there's been any change.
The impedance will not change as long as the VC insulation isn't burnt up. If it is, you won't need an impedance measurement to find that out.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:02 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
The impedance will not change as long as the VC insulation isn't burnt up. If it is, you won't need an impedance measurement to find that out.
The shape of the impedance CURVE will change however if there's any sort of abuse done to the driver's moving parts.
Old 9th July 2019, 02:50 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Why not build a v3 with a closed front chamber? Great feature in HR!
Old 9th July 2019, 03:26 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The shape of the impedance CURVE will change however if there's any sort of abuse done to the driver's moving parts.
No, that's not true. You cannot see any damage to the voice coil until it's too late/gone. The same goes for the cone or suspension, you can see it only if the damage is severe but that will be already audible anyway. The differences between measurements before that point are mostly because of changes in air pressure, temperature and air moisture, they show in the impedance aswell, not only response, distortion or decay.
Old 9th July 2019, 03:28 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

My experience has shown otherwise, so we will have to agree to disagree on that point.
Old 9th July 2019, 04:01 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Why not build a v3 with a closed front chamber? Great feature in HR!
No need to at this point. However, if they end up blowing the driver again, I'll likely end up designing something entirely different for their use.

Oh, I passed by the bar this weekend. Not unexpectedly, and against my advice, they were using the background music system at top volume again, instead of using the main system. The Enigma (V2) is located below the bar counter (not the best location - but they're wired it up and everything BEFORE asking for my input, sigh), and the counter and floorboards were vibrating, LOL. The subwoofer survived that onslaught intact. I'm sure that they are going to be many more such incidents to come...
Old 9th July 2019, 04:06 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My experience has shown otherwise, so we will have to agree to disagree on that point.
You can learn to recognize it by listening to it. It's not difficult.

Rebuilding the Enigma...Hide this!Advertise here!