resources for air impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I am looking for a good beginner resource where i can learn about air impedance. I have been obsessed with ports for longer than I can remember and having been left a bit disappionted with the results of my recent foray into transmission lines....

I believe I need a better understanding of the fundamentals.

There's hope that a book off amazon could solve the cure but a good formula would be a guide as well.

Regards,

Marc

Last edited:
Thanks GM,

Asking google is great but finding something specific in relation to a topic can be difficult to find... Just thought somebody here would have a good recommendation.

As for the transmission line, yes, I have read alot of material and have done several sims using different types of approaches and although the outcome works; It was underwhelming for the application that I chose.

There is room for improvement however, and that's where I'm hoping to deepen my understanding a bit and thought some direction would be advisable. I will probably just find a rabbit hole on the net somewhere and try to dig my way out as I usually do ;)

Regards

Ps: that site is a good resource. thanks for that.

Last edited:
but a good formula would be a guide as well.

Not sure how much it helps, but the formula for "air impedance" at a given surface is defined as:

Za = p / U

Where:

Za = acoustic impedance (unit is newton-sec/m^5 or mks acoustic ohm)

p = sound pressure (unit is newton/m^2)

U = volume velocity (unit is m^3/sec)

Za, p and U are complex quantities, having real and imaginary components.

Not sure how much it helps, but the formula for "air impedance" at a given surface is defined as:

Za = p / U

Where:

Za = acoustic impedance (unit is newton-sec/m^5 or mks acoustic ohm)

p = sound pressure (unit is newton/m^2)

U = volume velocity (unit is m^3/sec)

Za, p and U are complex quantities, having real and imaginary components.

I have pulled this equation from gm's links and appreciate the clarification.

You said.

"Za, p and U are complex quantities, having real and imaginary components."

Your words have given me alot of intrigue.

Much appreciated.

"Za, p and U are complex quantities, having real and imaginary components."

Just to clarify:

Za = Ra + j * Xa

Where:

Za = complex acoustic impedance
Ra = real acoustic resistance
Xa = real acoustic reactance
j = imaginary operator (-1) ^ 0.5

Za = p / U is the generalised complex acoustic equivalent to Ohm's Law equation V = I * R, rearranged as R = V / I.

Pressure p is the complex acoustic analog to electrical voltage V, volume velocity U is the complex acoustic analog to electrical current I, and impedance Za is the complex acoustic analog to electrical resistance R. Lumped-element simulation models use the acoustic equivalents to electrical circuit networks, when analysing loudspeaker systems.

acoustic imepedance air = Speed of sound x density = 400

Acoustic impedance = p / U, as previously stated.
The unit of acoustic impedance is newton-sec/m^5 or mks acoustic ohm.

Characteristic impedance = p0 * c where p0 = air density and c = sound velocity.
The unit of characteristic impedance is newton-sec/m^3 or mks rayl.

Two different things :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.