15hz, high volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Big sound requires big box!

This was just a rough draught.
With more powerful drivers (higher Bl and better xmax) or 4 isobaric pairs the box size can be reduced substantially.

I just wanted to se what could be done with in a reasonable driver budget and lots of plywood sheets.
The four 12 inch drivers can be arranged PPSL for a healthy reduction of distortion.

The "LOL" was for the old memory that statement drudged up.

My physics book told me that 4 mid-1980's 8" Pyle Driver woofers might need a smaller box in the back of a teenager's 1970's VW Squareback than what a red-eyed fool might think right after his extended lunch break. I most likely was shooting for Qtc of 0.707

Point being, there was absolutely no math or physics behind *his* statement, unless counting out money for a bag of weed is considered math.

He once told a customer that he didn't wire woofers in series because the sound came in from the + wire, so it hit the first woofer harder than the second one. That's why parallel is better, it hits them both at the same time.

GAS212-15Hz-data.JPG

GAS212-15Hz-size.JPG

GAS212-15Hzmaxspl.JPG

Half the size with two very large xmax and high Bl drivers. Needs more power though...

GAS Competition 12D1 | GAS | Billjud | Brl.se

If Etocynned could give up a few Hz (speed up the trax a bit :D) and the Audiopipe's specs are right then maybe an 8th order box ??? - he's got 14mm xmax.

60V and coils in series - its awfully big at 460 liter airspace - he might already have better - ?

btw I was told by a guy who worked on my car that thick wires had more "resistance" than thin ...

oXHiByS.png

Last edited:
can one easily discern a difference in pitch between a sine of 14Hz vs 20Hz? does it sound like a half octave drop musically ? - Does subjective pitch of pure tones change with level?

my eyesight's poor/uncorrected - the airspace volume in my sim above was 497 liter. Here's one about 10% less.

It might be good to ask BFM at Audioasylum if he has a drawing for a sub which is tuned to ~15Hz. It misses the 15Hz pretty badly - but looks fairly punchy - if could be made stiff enough.

lbEqpW5.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.