15hz, high volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What enclosure alignment would you use if you wanted peak output, in a .5pi space, at 15hz.

Ive simmed a series 6th order bandpass that in 2pi is flat to 15hz. Ive also simmed a tapped taper that is flat to 15hz.

Id like 1 to 2 octaves coverage if possible but i can have midbass drivers take over as low as 30hz if necessary.

Its a mobile application.

Im understanding Hoffman so im expecting large enclosures and large amounts of power. I currently have 2300w on tap i to the 1Ω load my driver has nominally. However, i realize that the driver/enclosure pairing will vary wildly from this. Into a 4Ω impedance this amp will produce 850w so that's my range.

I had considered, in the interes of efficiency, a very long tapped horn rather than a taper.

What enclosure alignment works best depends on how much space you have available. A real horn will be the most efficient but will also be huge. Tapped horn and 6th order bandpass are similar in efficiency and size, depending on their taper rate and tuning.

Last edited:
Okay, and is the sub to fire into the cabin, or as part of an outdoor system?

Either way, displacement rules at the very-low-frequency range, unless you literally want 15Hz and nothing else*. In your case, I'd be looking at 4x 18" drivers to fill one of the faces of the box. If you need more SPL, go for bass reflex.

* For that, a series-tuned 6th order bandpass with a driver with a lot of thermal capacity would be the way I'd go.

Chris

Demonstration-pavement-constructed-in-Cyprus-34-Pavement-in-Turkey-The-Turkish.png

put a computer to control the vibrator, I wish you luck :)

one Dayton 18HO in a 7.5 cubic foot chamber reflex would to something like the sim below for nominal 300 watt input. Since the vent would be very long, it would probably better to make it some sort of folded line.

bgRx6nM.png

IF there were only just the very lows - say 15Hz to 30Hz, then a 2nd order lowpass @20Hz would greatly reduce
cone excursion (at the expense of output above 20Hz - lol) and allow more input at tuning - you can see that 6dB is lost at 30Hz

F0jshGc.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.