Water on speaker suspension/spider fixed mechanical noise issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was running out of ideas so I decided to try just spritzing some water on the spider where its making the noise from
and i sprayed enough to get it decently wet but not make a mess down inside the speaker basket or on the coil and it instantly fixed the mechanical noise. infact its utterly silent from barely moving to maximum excursion.
even after it completely dried for 2 days its still silent! Why is it such a weird
simple solution to fix such a strange problem?

its a cheap DUAL electronics brand 12-inch subwoofer rated for 250W RMS (probably can only safely handle 150 to 200 watts realistically though)
I first thought it was the coil but it only made the noise when the cone was moving inward. but not outward. and it didnt sound like coil rubbing noise. it sounded like a tiny piece of plastic or rubber tacky-ness sound.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I once had a problem with a B&W bass driver that whilst sounding absolutely fine on music, was also obviously 'rubbing' when tested with a very low frequency sine (around 1 to 20 Hz). The cause was a sliver of metal stuck at the entrance to the pole piece gap, probably from a sliver off a cabinet screw during manufacture. Removing it called for a little ingenuity and a plastic trimmer with a little adhesive tape on the end did the trick.

It wasn't just the noise of the rubbing that was audible under LF sine testing with this metal fragment in place, one of the large crossover chokes also buzzed quite harshly under this condition. Once the fragment was removed the choke was silent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.