Recomendations for home theater TH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So basically I currently have a pretty decent pair of stereo speakers that I built, 12" econowave mini's that are ported at about 50hz and have decent bass down to around 45 hz. They are 92db efficient after baffle step compensation, and are running on around 130 watts per channel right now but I want to build a sub to get down deeper.

I have built a bunch of subs in the past, all bass reflex, and am comfortable with using cad.

The sub needs to be (relatively) portable. Like one dude can carry it with bit of difficulty as it is going into an apartment next year since I am in college.

I have wanted to build a tapped horn for a while now so figured this could be a place to start. I'm thinking probably an 8" or 10". I would like response down to the mid/low 20s, and I have a Crown Macrotech 3600vz to use for power. Granted, I will almost certainly not be throwing even it's single channel 8 ohm limit of 1100 watts into a single driver.

If anyone has any driver recomendations or places to start it would be much appreciated.

@Mazza - Thank you for sharing your build and impressions, it was originally designed for a friend of mine as a one off job, he was kind enough to act as a guinea pig for what was to become the TPAM10HTL, I started of with a true 20Hz capable design, but we ended up trading some depth for punch and detail and raised the lower FL corner by ~8Hz or so by implementing a shorter path length, grater steps in the expansion and redesigned aperture with more coupling area.

This made a lot of difference to the performance, we got higher overall SPL, the range worked fine for both movie and music, so we concluded that this was all right and he built two of them, loaded with B&C 10NW64, power by a QSC RMX, and have been using them together with a pair of JBL Array 1400 for both cinema and music in a dedicated room.

Once done I decided to publish it on my blog, I was not really expecting it to draw a lot of attention compared to the professional application stuff (THAM & ROAR) so I left out the simulation and just let it be, but as it turns out it seems to have exceeded my expectations in this regard.

@Mazza

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking at the 8 and 10 inch alpines because I read some great things about them. That design looks promising. I'll probably keep my eyes open for something tuned just a but lower, around 25hz, but for music only that one might be perfect.

With your goals, a vented box seems to be a better fit than a tapped horn.

If size is limited, a closed box (+ many watts) offers most output for a given size. Vented is slightly worse but much cheaper as you can save on woofers and amplifier. Tapped horn is another step in that direction. Both vented and tapped horn are suitable candidates for an HT sub.

20 Hz for HT is not possible with an 8" woofer. It will not be loud enough to be impressive, unless the horn is large. A THSpud uses 8" woofers and reaches down to 20 Hz, but it has two long excursion woofers and the box is huge with an outside volume of 389 L.

Last edited:
@TBTL

Yeah I am aware that bass reflex+power is King for compact lf output but I'm honestly just bored of it. Horn's and other more "advanced" designs are able to just squeeze so much more out of a given driver that I find them so interesting.

I've already build half a dozen ported boxes and their just not that exciting. Also having the driver a little "hidden" is nice so nobody drinking in my apartment puts a foot through a cone

@martinsson

Is there any chance you could post the hornresp inputs for that design? I'd like to model the excursion and some things with the newest Alpine driver.

If not for secrecy purposes I totally understand

Same here. About 20 BR and PR designs in and TH seemed the next step. First the TPAM10TPL then the Snyder Lab12 design....

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
@ Martinsson, thank you so much for your design and really all of your work. Your blog really inspired me to try a tapped horn in the first place.

Just wish I could build a box as well as you can and I'm just a little envious of your garden too!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.