Eminence Lab15 - Sound Quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there. I'm curious about the sound quality of Eminence Lab15 and the other Lab subs. Are they good music woofers? I'm not overly experienced with high end drivers in the sub frequency. I would be crossing under 100hz, likely closer to 50hz if possible to a large pro woofer.

It looks good on paper but I have had mixed results with some Eminence drivers. Probably too high of expectations combined with inexperience so looking for opinions from others who have more experience with this driver or anything to offer.

Thanks

Eminence lab 12/15 series is good. They are not xmax monsters for producing the lowest notes with big authority but at least good down to 25-30Hz.

Sound quality wise, it's more to do with room acoustics and enclosure design etc.. lab does the job just fine as it is. Depending also whats your taste :)

I am considering them, but find shopping for bass drivers is tricky.

I like sealed in theory more for music than ported, but the bass goes lower ported. I can't see a sealed Lab15 working without DSP, as is the case with many sealed subs IME.

I listen to everything, but my goal is to get a nice low distortion speaker built that is capable of sounding big when it needs to, and still play nice when I'm just taking it easy. Fast isn't a word I want to use, but attack comes to mind too. Something I think of when it comes to big light mid pro cones. Good attack. I don't like the idea of a super heavy cone, but seems a necessary evil for a good sub, ya?

Last edited:
good attack (kick, mid bass) and lots of sub when needed, almost impossible from single enclosure / driver. Well, it depends how much you really need max spl etc..

Yes, it is possible to get lots of spl from sealed subs down to lowest notes but it just requires lots of power, cone area and xmax.
Think about that you have a sealed sub which has -10dB point at 30Hz compared to lets say 45Hz. To get flat response, you need to boost 30Hz +10dB with eq/dsp. There we have it, nice flat response down to 30Hz. But power requirements for 30Hz is now almost ten times compared to 45Hz! as example, 100watt for 45Hz, 1000watt for 30Hz. Not to mention the maximum excursion needed to keep up those low notes..
Still not enough..flat to 20Hz? Oh my.. driver will be killed!
Smaller the enclosure, more power required to flatten the response down to what ever you need. That's why I prefer reflex/horn designs when ever big SPL levels is necessary.

How about two-way bass? One heavier cone for sub and another lighter cone/high efficiency driver for midbass/kick to give some chest pounding kick.

Last edited:
I am planning on using a 15" midbass like JBL 222* variant with a horn up top. I'm thinking that's where lots of the "speed and punch" will be coming from. Obviously using a mid like that will require a little low end reinforcement even tho I'm thinking bass reflex on the JBL. I've considered 18" drivers as well, but am contemplating the Lab15 as I can get a good price on em.

Getting flat to 20hz isn't priority #1... Room gain and such will hopefully factor in to help things down there some.

As mentioned, I've owned some Eminence that were a bit... Meh. I dunno how to describe but they left something wanting and I wasn't sure if the Lab15 would be more of that or if it would do what I hope. Naturally I'm going to be active crossing the Lab15 to the mains but am still just kind of brainstorming at this point.

It sounds like the Lab15 is flexible enough that beyond music it would have other good applications should the results be less than favourable. Not that I need to hoard anymore drivers... But who am I kidding? Hah

Last edited:
Labs ara awesome drivers. But in my country, they are bloody expensive. You definitely can find some beast drivers with more motor force and displacement volume than these. And If one is about to throw some audio money to the bin (meaning you just want it, but there is no way it pays back), then I would not pick these for their value. I´d put some more peanuts and bought mightier drivers. My choice would be some 18" RCF or B&C in that price. Even B&C 15BG100 is cheaper driver. Due to the /usually/ strong motors, you can close many of these drivers in 120-130l enclosure, and dig 30Hz with it no problem...
Second 21DS115 arrived to my house last week for that reason.

If you really wanted to go more hi-fi, I would look more into Peerless and Dayton.

I used the LAB15 in the Tuba THT (low profile version)
It serves as a coffee table pointed at a corner of the room.
Crossed at around 50Hz it goes deep with more then enough SPL.
In normal use it doesn't see much more then 10w and that is when it is turned up loud.

So like always it depends on the enclosure......
They will also work good in a sealed or vented enclosure but I think They are more suited for horn loading (just like the LAB12 was designed for horn loading)
front loaded they are not that sensitive. In a big enough horn it will get scary...
The THT has a long horn path but the mouth is not big enough. Corner loading helps this a lot and makes the Tuba THT work.

So the LAB15 is a great quality driver but a good enclosure makes al the diffierence.

Wow. Happened to check in and lucked out as my notifications are whack. No mods, other than baffle cutout. That said, I think someone did extensive testing a build with it and changed up the keystone shape a bit to flatten it. I think you will be happy. Good luck and happy sawdust!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.