Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ISO 30Hz Square wave reproduction.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2019, 11:39 PM   #51
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
Its a matter of phase. From Square Waves And DC Content: Deconstructing Complex Waveforms - Page 2 of 3 - ProSoundWeb

Seems everybodies right, sort of. A 200hz square thru a 50hz filter shifts the fundemental by 20 degrees which messes up the square. So it depends on the filter. A brick wall wont mess it up. Another reason a square is a great test signal. Just saw rayma has already addressed this.
Yes, I think we are all converging on the same thing....

Here's the thing in my mind...

In the analog world, to say phase matters is also to say frequency response matters....same thing...they are equivalent statements ....just depends on which one you want to make the causal factor.

In the digital world, we can separate phase and frequency response.

Which lets us see we have to double think the relationships we accepted as truth before.....such as conventional wisdom saying we need response below the fundamental to get good square waves.
And claims such as waves are this because of phase, or this because of mag.
We can dissect those claims now with digital.

After dissecting, I think the need to be flat below fundamental is/was simply due to analog implementation issues, particularly a residual in HPF effect or some other phase/response warp.

Bottom line for square waves afaict for both analog and digital, if mag and phase are flat from fundamental up, they'll be good and square.

As said by a number of us, likely means no HPF is bleeding in.
Old 16th February 2019, 11:41 PM   #52
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I think this is where you confused yourself? It sounds like you are constructing a square wave from sine waves, in this instance nothing is needed below a 200Hz sine.
Yes, that sentence was wrong. My apologies to all.

But the way I put it in posts 27 and 33 was OK, I think.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 16th February 2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 16th February 2019, 11:49 PM   #53
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
But the way I put it in posts 27 and 33 was OK, I think.
Yes, I think maybe some of the responses didn't take into account you were talking about putting the wave through a band-passed system.

BTW, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to refer to it as a square "wave"

Last edited by scottjoplin; 16th February 2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 16th February 2019, 11:56 PM   #54
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Ben, way cool, thank you sir....

ISO 30Hz Square wave reproduction.Hide this!Advertise here!