Gluing/stitching materials to cones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had bad luck on most forums because people give me a hard time about my ideas. Usually people jump to conclusions about what I'm trying to achieve, and sometimes my ideas are just plain dumb. Please keep an open mind on this one and try to refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

I'm building a 15" subwoofer from a speaker that sat outdoors for 20 years. I took it apart and the entire inside of the voice coil had a wasp's nest in it, the wasps had long since moved out. I bought some inexpensive components and rebuilt it. It was very hard to find a spider that was small enough in diameter, everything is much larger these days. I'ts stiffer than I wanted but I could spend the rest of my life looking for a better one. The cone is paper with a coating on it and is very rigid, with a foam surround. I got all the original glue off the voice coil and assembled everything yesterday. The gap on this was tight compared to the other subs I built and by some miracle there is no rubbing on it.

Now I want to glue some things to the cone, or stitch them and glue combined. This is mainly for aesthetics, but if these things also stiffen the cone I suppose that would be an added bonus. I'm stuck trying to decide if I should attach things that are very rigid, very flexible, or somewhere in between. I'm thinking that if the objects are rigid, the cone might tear where they are attached. If they are flexible they might vibrate and cause noise, or even break from vibrating.

I'm thinking about two objects radiating out from the dust cap 180 degrees apart, or maybe three objects 120 degrees apart.

I read some older threads about treating paper cones with glue to stiffen them, but couldn't find any where people were attaching things. I'm aware that keeping the cone light is important, so I'm thinking of using very light materials and maybe gluing at intervals to keep the weight down.

I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you. Keep in mind that this is an art-oriented experiment, not an audiophile-oriented one.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I've been a member here for a long time and I do not recall any personal attacks in that period; although there have been a number of very heated disagreements. So sound quality is a secondary thing here and all you want is a particular "Look"?
Symmetry may turn out to be of great importance and therefore I think equal halves won't work but a trilobal could be OK
Without a rough sketch I'm just pushing air around. Would you by any chance talking about a "Lemon Squeezer" dust cap arrangement?
You realise that it may not sound good so that's a start
Sketch please

I have had good luck on this forum. People here have been helpful. I'm just beat down by life and don't need any more negativity.

Here is a quick doodle. These things would be highly decorative, not just lines like I have drawn. I just can't imagine what shapes I will use until I pick a material. I'm thinking thin aluminum sheet, foam core or who knows.

In doodle "c" the shape is arranged so only small points attach to the cone.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• cone decor.jpg
    cone decor.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 146
If you want to lower the resonant frequency (and sensitivity) then adding mass is the easy way. I think I'll go downstairs and try some modern duct tape, the shiny aluminum stuff, to some throwaway woofers and report back. I have tried mixing epoxy and lead shot, which worked, in a donut right at the voice coil, like Radio Shack did on their Optimus woofers, and AR on the early AR-3.
The yarn idea will look good.

Phivates - so the epoxy and lead shot was rigid I take it. Was it on a paper cone? I am surprised it didn't crack or tear the cone where it was attached. This is the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm all for lowering the resonant frequency. I didn't know adding mass would do this. I'd rather not lower the sensitivity, but I suppose like every other aspect of speakers, there is always a trade off.

Tannoy HPD drivers had 8 reinforcing ribs attached to the back of the cone in a radial pattern to increase stiffness. They look like paper triangular ribs attached all round with glue. So I would think that something like that could be applied to the front of the cone without compromising the functionality too much, and look fairly radical at the same time!

Have you considered papier mache? You may be able to form it directly onto the paper cone and have it stick (depending on the coating of the cone) I'm not sure how sculptural you want to get with this - it's just an idea, I like the idea of whatever weird thing you've got going. Also, have you considered embroidering the cone? Perhaps look up Russian punch needle embroidery? I've only ever seen it done with largish needles, so that may be a no go if you plan on driving this thing at any reasonable SPL.

Sometimes you need something that looks good to just make some noise. I hope it comes to fruition!

moondog55 - a rose is an awesome idea, I wasn't thinking that wild, but you have got my imagination going.

I had not considered paper mache. I did want to make a sculptural cone out of fiberglass, but I have read all kinds of stuff about glue not sticking well to it.

This one is going to be pretty tame because it is a speaker that is pretty nostalgic to some people and I don't want to go overboard. I would be willing to get crazy with a pyle or something along those lines.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.