I need help with building genexxa subwoofer boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own two Genexxa gx 1600 stone tower speakers.

Genexxa h?gtalare - Kvalit?ts h?gtalare fr?n Sverige

I used to use them as my mains, but one of the cheap tweeters and mids each got stuck. I decided the speakers were such bad quality that it wasn't worth replacing the drivers. Instead i bought B&W dm602s3 which are much better.

Now i still have two 15" woofers in giant boxes with a sensitivity of 96 dB. I have used them as subwoofers with an old sony 2x100 Watt receiver. They play really loud easily and decently low as well.

But recently I've been wanting more. I thought about buying a Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" and building a huge box for it to tune it low.

But that would cost alot because i have to get the sub to the northern Europe.
And then I'd have to buy a bigger amp as it has lower sensitivity and then i would only have one subwoofer (=worse room balancing)

The Genexxas claim 20Hz but i have tested them to be tuned to maybe about 40Hz and they play a little lower than 30Hz at best (in corner listened
to at the back wall).

I mainly listen to loud (and sometimes critical, so I like accuracy very much) music, and then i watch a lot of movies with surround sound so I would like a subwoofer that could go to at least close to 20Hz and maybe lower.

So I have tried to search for the Genexxa woofer specs or even model number, but without luck. The only thing I know is, they are ~15" and 8 Ohms.

Now I would want to preserve these as they are still pretty good. The thing is that the box is awful. It has no bracing, some glass fiber inside with those huge ports :eek: , and it's made of basic mdf probably.

Now my question is can I, and how do I build new boxes for these to make them more accurate and tuned alot lower. I may have to build a box with a port that i can adjust to test the best tuning frequency, but if so, and otherwise, should i build a normal square port, use an adjustable flared round port, or a very complex folded port sub or folded horn like a "lilwrecker" box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.