Vented box WinISD issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. Please don’t hammer me for not searching for this. I can’t seem to find something answering my specific question.

I’m trying to model a ported enclosure with WinISD. The problem is the port velocity and first resonance usual issue

Question is when I tell WinISD that the port will have 2 flared ends, nothing changes. Velocity and length stay the same

I don’t know how long to male my ports due to the flared ends. I know this alters the length needed.

And more
Importantly what port velocity can I go up to and how much does the flared ends help.?

And do I need a specific flare size?

Plans are as follows

Alpine swr1542D
140litre box (solid rosewood tv cabinet) with added 18mm mdf on all sides)
Tune to 19 or 18 hz
External port in order to achieve adequate port length

Any other pointers I should consider?

Thanks in advance

Yeah and I’m now left
I’m a position where I need to make sure that the port velocity it not too high.

If someone could just come and say “well I had a calculated 30ms in WinISD and I used flared ends and I can’t hear it” then that would be great.

Or even better “ you can go up to 35ms at 20hz with flared ends no problem at all”

That’s all I’m looking for

With a Faital Pro 15HP1060, I was getting 2dB of port compression when dropping a kilowatt of sine tones in there, with a port cross-sectional area that got to a smidge over 300cm^2, but was larger at each end.

At domestic levels, you'll be fine - remember that the simulated port velocity will only occur when there's a full-power sine tone at that frequency.

Chris

Last edited:
Best way is to tune in real life. WinIsd is not accurate at all.
Port size and allowed velocity greatly depends on box volume, tuning frequency, speaker excursion and motor strength, content you play, allowance for port noise and more. For 15“ and PA usage, good shot would be between 35% and 50% of the cone area. The more, the better.

There is some Swedish software out threre that calculates port flare and velocity (in fact its a complete suete of software which will replace winisd.(easy to use and now freeware))

Sorry its on another machine thats dismantled at the moment.and cant remember the name.
Hornresp and akabak are pretty spot on But not so easy to use.

I'm having the same issue as trojan, the end correction value is stuck at 0.732.
Sorry for the noob questions but...

What does this mean?

Is it even of any relevance?

If I use a flare of a different value to 0.732 how will this effect the sound?

Is flaring a precise art or can I just buy a flared port (of the correct diameter and length) from parts express expect it to sound decent?

Edit: My application is very different to trojan's however, I'm building a simple full range 80W portable speaker with two Dayton PC-105 4's

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.