Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I have a WAF problem
I have a WAF problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default I have a WAF problem

I was happy but then we renovated and I am no longer "allowed" to have 7 small powered subwoofers and/or the big refrigerator in the corner of the lounge room.
I really liked my big old sealed box with the old school 15 inch Kicker EX too.
My problem now is that I am limited to a pair of subwoofers for both H/T and the stereo.
WAF is going to limit me to two boxes and my physical limits are 550mm deep 850mm wide and 550mm tall Exterior dimensions. I can only have this much space because I will use them as the bases for my stereo speakers. I'm going to assume that I use a composite box structure and 25mm thick.
So 500 * 800 * 500mm is only about 200 litres and my existing 12 inch drivers won't work in this volume twinned.
I am now retired with no income to speak of so any new driver will need to be at the cheaper end and I will need to restrict myself to existing amplification. Probably the old Jaycar / Silicon Chip PlayMaster Pro which is about 180 / 200 Watts, so not much grunt to play with. As a music sub it will need to keep up with the woofer in the stereo box and the woofer there is the Vifa P-26 which goes reasonable deep in a sealed box and is of average efficiency.
If I sell off most of my old woofers I may be able to talk SWMBO into a pair of the Dayton 15s
DCS385-4 15" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm
New computer and my programs are now not working but back of envelope calculation says that this Dayton might be OK given floor boost and the new smaller room
I'd like some second and third opinions and other cheap options if people here in Oz can think of any, primary considerations are WAF and frugality
Old 17th January 2019, 12:51 PM   #2
cspieker is offline cspieker
diyAudio Member

Two or four of the seven small subs aren't an option? Can those drivers and amps be used in a different cab? Trying to sell used stuff can be tough to get much.
Old 17th January 2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

So What are the 12 inch drivers you have - got any data for them?
If a 200 litre dual driver sealed box is too small to get the FR you want, then my first thought was to see how an Isobaric configuration would work?
Might be a low cost option!
Old 17th January 2019, 09:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

They are cheap drivers I bought to make a party bass box with.
Qts of .77 and a large Vas DAICHI from WES speakers
Nice enough woofers but they are not subwoofers as X-Max is low
I have the data somewhere
WAF is going to over-ride distributed bass but the drivers and boxes all have 8 and 10 inch woofers. Cheap stuff I got on sale more than a decade ago and will be given away to the grandkids
Old 18th January 2019, 01:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

After much reloading I have finally got Jeff Bagbys program to work again although it won't save driver data to its data base which is a right PITA.
It seems as if the cheap Dayton would work in a much smaller box and that to do any better I would need to double the driver cost and go up to the big Dayton Ultimax 18"
UM18-22 and I only gain about 3 dB
The old powered subs are a mix of 8" 10" and a couple of 12" with tiny chip amp power [ 100W peak] and worked well enough but no longer have spousal approval.
New room furniture also means a single big subwoofer is not an option, soffit mounting in the ceiling being vetoed at the new plaster stage
I'm still at the thinking stage as music is OK for the time being but the H/T really needs the bass for effects and adding the subs would clean up the mid-bass signal to the Vifa woofers with luck
Old 18th January 2019, 01:17 AM   #6
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a WAF problem
Do you have access to a crawlspace underneath the floor?
Then maybe the subs can exist down there with a terminus in the floor?
Old 18th January 2019, 01:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Not easily and it gets damp there sometimes. Besides the 3-Ways need a stand of some sort
At the moment the big speakers are sitting on a pair of the old powered subs as a temporary measure which is aggravating SWMBO as it's just a plywood open front box
The old passive subs using the CV 12-4 being deemed "Ugly" and also they didn't add much to the bottom end of the Vifa woofers. I'm going to try and use the same sub boxes for both the music and the home theatre now. Simple sealed boxes that also work as speaker stands are the compromise solution, hence that height restriction of ~550mm
Old 18th January 2019, 03:12 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send the family away for a couple of weeks, build a false wall IB, properly finished and hope she doesn't notice the room 12''-18" shorter.

GM
Old 18th January 2019, 07:35 PM   #9
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Much better idea than hiring an attorney
Old 18th January 2019, 09:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Send the family away for a couple of weeks, build a false wall IB, properly finished and hope she doesn't notice the room 12''-18" shorter.

GM
I actually mentioned this at the rebuilt stage and that was also vetoed.

I am surprised tho that the cheaper Dayton 15" models better than the cheaper 18" in this application except for excursion where it's needed.

I'd prefer not to sacrifice sound quality in the music for noise and impact in the movies but it would be nice to get both at a semi affordable level

I have a WAF problemHide this!Advertise here!