Did i just ruin my subs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, got the old turntable setup out of my parents basement, set it all up just to find that the subs needed to be refoamed. I just finished gluing them up, and realized that the surrounds arent foam, but rubber. Are rubber surrounds the same as foam or am i going to have to cut them off and wait another 5-8 business days for some foam ones? Thanks.

Woofers with rubber surrounds tend to have lower values for Qms, which in turn lowers Qts. And the surrounds contribute about 20% to the compliance, or so I've heard.

I'd listen to them first before changing out the rubber surrounds for foam ones. Quite likely they will sound fine, unless in attaching the new surrounds you managed to offset the subwoofer drivers' coils.

Yea i dont think ill be redoing the subs anytime soon. They're a pair of sound dynamics 100s and they make dire straits s/t sound better than ive ever heard it before. I might get some foam surrounds for them in the future if i get bored though. I also have a pair of old dynacoustic speakers (cant find anything about them on google) that i may refoam soon.

depending on box size and how big the magnet is could well improved them.

for example in a smaller sealed box having a rubber instead of foam surround when most of the extra impedance is caused by the air in the box wont make much difference.

like how the amp works abit harder to more against the vacuum at lower frequency that may be marginally more with the rubber ones, depending on how thick the rubber, how 'compliant' but for subwoofer applications I doubt its a concern. for a mid it could be valid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.