Hornresp, and BLH Subs:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Comparing Xmax power plots with the BR having a low vent mach to minimize thermal power compression at high power, especially if sustained such as a pipe organ note where the huge horn 'shines'.

Understood! Notice the 'saddle'/'swayback' in the BR's response? If max flat it would be just that even if sloping downward and over-damped is one that is rolling off from ~ its upper mass corner.

GM

Comparing Xmax power plots with the BR having a low vent mach to minimize thermal power compression at high power, especially if sustained such as a pipe organ note where the huge horn 'shines'.

Understood! Notice the 'saddle'/'swayback' in the BR's response? If max flat it would be just that even if sloping downward and over-damped is one that is rolling off from ~ its upper mass corner.

Don't know that I'm following everything you said, but I understand about the saddle. I can easily make it flat as a table by pulling the resonance lower, but when I do, the graph looks exceedingly funky at high power levels, where the cone excursion is limited. It (like everything else) is a compromise. Also note that in my high SPL simulations, I'm hitting these drivers with 200 watts each... just like we did in real life.

Incidentally, this is not a standard BR box, but more like a reverberatory tube, with a driver at one end, and a blunt, cone shaped port at the other.

To me, the output looks somewhat comparable, but I've no clue how it would sound...

Here's the direct "Max SPL" comparison:

Attachments

• Max SPL Horn - Reflex vs Horn.PNG
    Max SPL Horn - Reflex vs Horn.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.