Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help Replacing 18" Driver in Reflex Cabs
Help Replacing 18" Driver in Reflex Cabs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2019, 11:09 AM   #11
AliMOe is offline AliMOe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
The JBL's will be an upgrade regardless of the exact specs.

The BMS 18S430v2, RCF 18X401, Oberton 18XB1300, and the Beyma 18PWB1000Fe are the best value high performance drivers at Blue Aran.

Thanks for the tips, they all look pretty good. Unfortunately I think I might be stuck with the jbl's for now.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:18 AM   #12
AliMOe is offline AliMOe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Not necessarily.
You need to run some simulations (WinISD Pro or Hornresp) and find out what port tuning frequency would work best for your drivers in that size cabinet.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Yes I realise now that what I should have done is run a load of tests with the cab/tuning to see what would work best oh well you live an learn (hopefully)

Well it looks like tuning the cab to 38hz would preduce the flattest response.
with the cabs at 40 there is a bit of a peak around 50hz (+1db)

Is this worth worrying about. how difficult would it be to adjust the port to tune to 38hz? is it something that's best fixed with some eq'ing?
Old 11th January 2019, 12:25 PM   #13
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't worry about it all. Put a highpass filter around 30-35hz and Eq to taste.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:23 PM   #14
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Changing the port tuning frequency is a matter of woodwork, and making sure the additional port length (bear in mind it'll cut into the cabinet volume, so it can end up an iterative calculation) is well sealed to the rest of the cabinet.

I wouldn't bother. 40Hz extension is enough for most music. If you get a big-name EDM artist through your venue, it might be worth hiring in something that'll hit 25Hz with authority.

Chris
Old 12th January 2019, 04:48 PM   #15
AliMOe is offline AliMOe
diyAudio Member

Yeah, would be nice to have something that went a bit lower but maybe that will have to be a future project. Thanks for all the help / Kyle

Help Replacing 18" Driver in Reflex CabsHide this!Advertise here!