Tapped Horn "experts" wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so

I have two Soundqubed HDC4 15s laying in a way too small box atm and i want to make a nice upgrade box vise. This will be in a home cinema/ used for parties

Therefore im hoping someone knows some tips about tapped horns. wanted to share my current plans and i have looked into all sorts of types of cabs all the way from simple ported boxes to 8th order cabs.. that being said, what do the horn experts say about my current plans and can you use this massive driver in a tapped horn? how big of a box im a looking at if i want a "true" half wave lenght horn all the way down to 27hz ish? MUUCH appreciated in advance:)

Size: no limit

Operational Fq range: 27-50hz (do you tune tapped horns?)

Driver: SQ HDC4 15s

Amp: 5k pa amp by crown

Money material vise: deep pockets but uknow reasonable

I came up with this, but it's a BIG box, 461 litres net. And passband is around 20 Hz to 60 Hz. With an Xmax of 40(!) mm, I might be tempted to go with a 4th order BP alignment instead...

Attachments

• 2019-01-08 (1).png
    2019-01-08 (1).png
    23.5 KB · Views: 391
I came up with this, but it's a BIG box, 461 litres net. And passband is around 20 Hz to 60 Hz. With an Xmax of 40(!) mm, I might be tempted to go with a 4th order BP alignment instead...

!! Exactly what i wanted, the bigger the cooler" if you ask me,

But okey the high Xmax is more suited for 4th order? Its a car audio sub with huge magnets and stuff so idk if its a nono to build it around a PA type enclosure

VAS and QTS

Loudspeaker driver VAS, QTS and to a lesser extent, fs, can vary considerably with break-in, temperature, age and humidity. Looking at the tiny 65 litre VAS measurement and the high 34hz fs, for a 15 these are unusual figures even before break-in. If these are your measurements, looks like they need a good ~20hz sine massage.

Just make sure the voice coils don't start hitting the back plate while doing this:D.

With a 40mm Xmax, that might require plugging it into the mains to get the cone moving that far.

Seriously, with 40mm Xmax, why not an assisted sealed design instead?

Im looking for the most bass possible (in the 27-60hz ish range) sealed doesnt sound that efficent.. SQ < SPL

I cant be the only one who dreams of building the sickest lowbass killer? No size limit on the enclosure, no limits what so ever tbh just hoping some type of a horn box or «cool» enclosure type works with those woofers as i have them just laying around, and these are not the cheap looking pa woofers you tend to see on these builds,

Just thought maybe a sick box with a sick driver would make for a good combo

LOL - those cheap looking PA woofers are exactly what work best with TH builds.. :).

Have you considered a passive-radiator build? Box with active 15" and two 18" PRs would look pretty awesome and should be a more manageable size too.

Yeah iknow, always wondered and there must be a way to have a far better driver in such efficient environment/enclosure? Maybe tapped horn is no good becouse of some parameters like @Jamesdb said, but some other horn types might be better?

Iknow you guys know your stuff, just a ported/sealed guy personally and now since size isnt a factor, i have heard horns "give more bass" if you have the room for them

Well, you could try building the TH I suggested (or something like it). It's a simple fold to do - either a high rectangular box with one internal panel, or something like the MTH30 type of layout - which you can use the appropriate spreadsheet from my site to help work out the details. And don't forget that it needs to be partly stuffed as well.

Me? With that driver, I'd go with an assisted sealed design, or a dual-PR design.

Site: The Subwoofer DIY Page - Horn Folding

Bjorno! how would you sim/rate my design, is it close to what I acheved?

this the only picture, but the driver is the eminence definimax 12, (for clearer spec inputs)

(I actully have built this and have been using it for 10 years)

Attachments

• naudio_eminence_4section.jpg
    naudio_eminence_4section.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 207
was my sim actually correct?

ps: that was not my sim, but one I saved from the tapped horn thread at the time where someone did a sim for me because he stated the driver parimiters where slightly different to the specsheet, the differece was ,margional. and that Is the horn I built.

Just wondering how your sim magic shows this design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.