Guidance required for DIY Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks. I was about to buy Dual Svs Pb3000 but a friend asked me to go for DIY subs. Im totally null in DIY. All i know i want subs like pb3000 or better then SVS. So its a request from expers please help me chosing Driver and Amplifier. My Room dedicated. size is 18’x24’. Speakers r Polk Audi RtiA9 driving with seprate power amp Avr is Marantz. I had Klipsch R115sw sub but wasnt happy with that thats y i sold that. Now please tell me what to choose and how to build. Thankyou

Last edited:
What is your budget? Do you have a size limitation or a wife? Do you have an amp to power these subs or will that be included in the build? Will they be used for music and movies? Do you have any experience with DIY or cabinet making? Answering these questions will help us guide you in the right direction..

well if the two SVS's run about $2700, we could probably start there. I don't see any reason why those subs couldn't be outdone by a couple Dayton 15s or mtx 9515s. throw in a decent amp and some dsp and you'd probably be under $2k pretty easily.
size constraints are likely the biggest issue, what are yours?

GM

Joined 2003
Where? I only found a $0.99 difference off retail.

Anyway, found no usable performance specs beyond F3 and guesstimated a ~4 ft^3 volume [Vb] less driver, bracing [and vents if ported], so not much to work with, especially if it's to have a plate amp too.

Now if we can go vertical like the original SVS tubes or deep folded or lay it/them down along the sound or side walls we can match its likely performance with just a fraction of its 2.5 kW peak power.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Well alrighty then! :D

DIY skills, tools, etc.?

What about the room layout?

Door, [bay] window, etc., location.

Any neighbor noise restrictions/whatever?

Ceiling height?

Adding Atmos?

With a room divisible by 2, 3, 6, it's a bit of an acoustic nightmare, so how 'dedicated' an HT is it?

Ideally we want the [LP] listening position at an odd harmonic with the 18 ft being the screen wall.

THX LFE ref. is 115 dB/20 Hz/LP, so ideally a bit more due to distance from the sound wall, but an increasing number of movies have soundtracks with <10 Hz sub harmonics and significant output all the way down into the low teens, which can literally wreck homes [like mine, been there, done that :(], so use this as a guide as to how much low sub-bass you ideally need/willing to afford based on your preferred movies:

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc) - Bass Content - Data-Bass Forums

The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

GM

Last edited:
Where? I only found a $0.99 difference off retail.

Anyway, found no usable performance specs beyond F3 and guesstimated a ~4 ft^3 volume [Vb] less driver, bracing [and vents if ported], so not much to work with, especially if it's to have a plate amp too.

Now if we can go vertical like the original SVS tubes or deep folded or lay it/them down along the sound or side walls we can match its likely performance with just a fraction of its 2.5 kW peak power.

GM

from SVS direct. if you order 2 they knock $100 off the second. their tech info shows a measured graph from a 2m groundplane with a flat run to 22-ish hz @ about 100db. should be simple enough to get past with the regular "go to" drivers in that sort of weight class. DSP being used for HPF and a little eq here or there as needed.

no specs on power, just what was used didn't reflect max spl. I don't see why a couple Dayton HO 15s in 4-4.5 ft^3 tuned to 18hz or so couldn't get the job done... haven't modeled it, complete spit ball, but my models for my cheap alpine type S's in 5 ft^3 tuned to 18 beat the svs's…..and I got those for $92 a piece.

with the brain trust here, surely something can be figured as far as a solution and well under the 3k budget.

I thought you wanted a near enough clone, but we don't know the SB16's acoustical performance [efficiency] specs. With size a ~non issue now, we can design a much more efficient system than the acoustically tiny SVS, which in turn requires less power for a given peak SPL: TA Speaker Topics: Loudspeaker Design Tradeoffs

I have a 7010 and trust me, you'll need all the speaker efficiency that you can afford in drivers, room space for high sound quality [SQ] and the amount of peak SPL movie LFE requires.

GM

Okay guys Its final im going for DIY.
But plz suggest me which driver should i chose and can i use car sub in HT. i have JBL w12gti , Audio Frog subs with me and not using in car they r free. I was thinking if they car subs work fine then i should use these and save money but if theres difference in home audio subs and car audio subs then ill definitely buy home audio sub and in that case which driver should i select besides plz confirm me can i use crown xls amp doest this amp has dsp in it ? Plz aswer me in some clear words as im new in it and dont understand technical words. Thankyiu

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.