SB16 ultra copy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.
I visited a friend a few days ago and tested his brand new 2x SB16 Ultra woofers, i was mindblown what theese small cabinets can do.
Now i want to build something that can preform as good as the svs woofers.
But im stuck already looking for a nice driver.
Cabinets have to be small but still be able play low frequency.

Right now i got a Crown XLS2505 that can do 2ohm dual 1200w or 4ohm bridged 2400w.

I have found two possible drivers, but they require INSANE ammount of power.

Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15" High Power Subwoofer

and

HST-15 mkII 15″ Subwoofer – Stereo Integrity

The SVS subs use Tymphany drivers built to SVS spec I believe. The Peerless (Tymphany) STW-350 is as close to the SVS SB16 driver as you can get. 150 litres would allow you to build a ported STW-350, that with 2400 Watts would out perform your friends twin SB16, just without the fancy features

From avsforum:
I agree about a pair of UM18s as a great choice for your needs, as well as your preference for sealed. 4 cu.ft isn’t small but is also not that large. You can either go flat packs or build your own boxes with any shape, as long as it is around 4 cu.ft. You can figure your box size here:

Speaker Enclosure Volume Calculator

Your Crown amp can run two of these subs bridged into 4 ohms if wired in series. This would make for an excellent setup, and should compare favorably to dual SB16’s.

Edit: Looks like the SB16 is 3.6 cu.ft internal volume, so a UM18 in a 4 cu.ft box is very close in size. Add the increased tactile response of the 18” driver and fraction of the cost....

Got a great price of the UM18 driver, so im going to test this. Hopefully two of theese would give me the power AND output i want. I can infact build 4xUM18 and buy two Crown XLS2505 for under the cost of one SB16 Ultra :p
If im not happy with the UM18 im gonna try the STW-350.

Little update on my project;
Got two brand new Crown xls2505 amps, first enclosure almost done, bought two um18 drivers, but i only got one now. second one arrives this week. Second box is already precut, so i will build that as soon as the first one is done.

jcBeiNq.jpg

mBWMvmr.jpg

q5Ut8Sp.jpg

pwFm098.jpg

sHMxfBP.jpg

4tR45mR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, looks great!

So you're running a XLS 2502 on each driver? That's a lot of power! Better to be over than under though.

2502 is currently in my dream subwoofer build - an approx 5cuft ported STW-350 running off a XLS 2502. Just out of interest, what power does the 2502 take from the mains? Looking in the manual, there's an image with 425W on the back of the amp. Is that what yours says?

Looking forward to seeing more pics, and any measurements. Cheers

It says 425w on the back, yes. The STW-350 does probably need two xls2502 to reach full potencial. Im going for this driver if the daytons disapoint me.

Todays lil update: rounded all edges a tiny bit, dont know if i want to round off more yet. Sanded whole box, 50/50 water and glue to seal all open edges, used filler to cover all screwholes.

EFU3mWJ.jpg

QCh6zU6.jpg

21Wn32f.jpg

hPMMNZJ.jpg

oKE9Rig.jpg

M338rbE.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.