SB16 ultra copy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
following your post . please let u know once ull b done with ur project . im justing waiting for ur result what output u get as uve have heard Sb16 u can compare it well with Sb16 . my target same as urs . and do tell how ur experience with crown amps . does these crown amp has dsp in it or not ?

Short on photos this time :/ was excited to get the first subwoofer up and running.
Box stuffed with polyfill, mounted speakon connection.
Wired in 4ohm and bridged on the amp. That should give the driver 2400w!
Measurements tomorrow hopefully.

dwVbYPp.jpg

g1SB4xd.jpg

Ecguo4v.jpg

I wonder how one of those drivers would work in a uber low tunned tapped horn/wavepipe. it would have to be Massive but for a 8hz tunning....

...yer it would have to be rather large indeed!

Good looking Subs btw. looks much better than the daft looking SB16. probably moves more air too (2 of them Certainly will) Im sure your friend will be happy

Attachments

• yy.jpg
    yy.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Thats why it is called an amplifier.

Hi, a amplifier amplifys the audio input signal (smaller current) using the power from the mains. (larger current)

to create a (larger current of audio signal) that is then sent to the driver.

it doesn't amplify the amount of wattage that goes in to it. what with? ..only way to do That would be with a amplifier amplifier.

Someone else can may be able to explain better.

Last edited:
Such amps AC consumption is usualy rated at 1/8 of full output power, so when it delivers 300 watts, the consumption with all accessories will be close to 435 watts.
Music is not sine waves in a resistor, but much more complex. Even close to clipping, an amp will never pull the peak energy from the mains, as it has energy stored in its condensers and coils. If you dont understand, maybe look for "music and crest factor".

Here is a measurement @ -28dB this is before any eq and any room treatment.
This is only one woofer. The second woofer is done in a day or two.
FKBDQNC.jpg

Forgot to mention that i did some spl max testing.
122dB @ 53 hz, then rew stopped measuring... i think the mic did not handle the volume :eek:. plenty of more gain.
112dB @ 20 hz. Reached the limit i set on reciever.
109dB @ 15 hz. Reached the limit i set on reciever.
105dB @ 10 hz. Reached the limit i set on reciever

Last edited:
Well, it feels good... It plays really tight in music compaired to my old PB13-Ultra.
The overall output feels just as the PB-13, just a little less in the lower section. I belive a little eq and another woofer will fix this.
The output is not enouh for me but if i keep in mind that this box is about half the size as the PB-13, and 1/4 the cost........ just stack em'. :D

Cant wait to put the other woofer up so the response will be even better.

may be able to level it out abit by acoustical means by shifting the subs outa bit.

that peek at 50 with null at 80

the main room node, fundamental of room.

adding extra sub and placing well can improve via acoustical means, mening less eq and overall more power

it would likely =abit more gain in the 20-30hz and 80-100hz region and abit less for the 45-55hz region.

its sorta foward abit with a foot or so in. sorta rectanguler. do with both. will be better. sub in corner only exentuates the room node. move sub out abit and it still uses the room but more in your favour

Last edited:
may be able to level it out abit by acoustical means by shifting the subs outa bit.

that peek at 50 with null at 80

the main room node, fundamental of room.

adding extra sub and placing well can improve via acoustical means, mening less eq and overall more power

it would likely =abit more gain in the 20-30hz and 80-100hz region and abit less for the 45-55hz region.

its sorta foward abit with a foot or so in. sorta rectanguler. do with both. will be better. sub in corner only exentuates the room node. move sub out abit and it still uses the room but more in your favour

you are probably right. The room that my stereo is in right now gonna get a total makeover and then it will be acoustical treated with bass traps etc.
also, the minidsp will be handy to even out things even more.

Will be interesting to see measurements with second sub. Also would be great to see max SPL plotted.

Sounds like you're impressed, but enough to drop the Peerless STW you considered as an alternative?

The peerless is not on my mind right now. I need two crown amps per driver to max it out. Also, shipping from parts express is expensive as fuk.
But who knows... its a interesting driver!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.