Subwoofer distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone just wondered if you guys had any ideas on this little problem . I have recently built a couple of mono block amplifiers built aroun a pair of old
ILP power amp modules . I am using a couple of cheap Chinese low pass filters which are just being used for level control as my Denon AVR does all the DSP. The first one works perfectly but because I have to wait for the Volt drive unit for the second sub I only tried the second one yesterday.
I am getting random distortion at high volume levels which seems to get worse and better all the time . I have tested the amp module bypassing the filter and all seems fine so I’m assuming it’s the LPF .
You guys got any idea what can go wrong with these . It’s based around 2 NE5532 op amps and the rest including the power rectifier and smoothing are all on board too .
Any ideas?

Attachments

• BF943953-7C63-4543-8D4B-8313F8F82AC7.jpeg
    BF943953-7C63-4543-8D4B-8313F8F82AC7.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 93
Light bulb moment

Well for Christmas I got a huge dose of man flu so instead of going back to work I am sat here wallowing in self pity .
Started thinking about my distortion problem and something occurred to me . I mentioned at the start of the post that I was using a pair of vintage ILP encapsulated power amplifiers which have integrated power supply boards . You just hook it up to a transformer give it an input and connect to a speaker and your good to go .
I had ILP ampliers back in the 1980’s and they have not been made for some time now ( check out IlP 2005) . So when I acquired these recently I knew they were new/old stock .
My original subwoofer plate amp which I purchased in 2006 recently started to distort and hum and after contacting the manufacturer they recommended swapping out the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply . After doing this low and behold it was good as new again.
Why did this not occur to me before now ? These amplifiers have been stuck on a shelf for maybe 20+ years in which time the 4700uf caps have almost certainly dried out and gone bad ....
Thanks to good old eBay have sourced replacements and hopefully in a week or so when they arrive all my distortion problems will be solved once more .
I will let you know how I get on .... Now back to wollowing in self pity ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.