Need help finding the F3 of my enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all...

I'm using a single NVX VCW124 in a 1.5ft^3 sealed enclosure. I've been trying to figure out the F3 of this combo but cant seem to get winisd to accept the t/s parameters for some reason. I also tried to figure it out using some math formula i found online but that too didnt pan out. I'm sort of at the end of my rope here. I'm happy with the set up, this is just a nagging curiosity that driving me crazy.

t/s parameters-

Xmax 20 mm
Fs 26
Vas 33.79 L
Sd 73.06
Qts 0.465
SPL 85
QES 0.490 1

Make sure that you use consistent units.
If you use Vas = 33.79 liters, then Vb also needs to be input in liters.
Notice that 1.5 ft^3 = 42.5 liters.

For metric system, use Vas = 33.79 liters and Vb = 42.5 liters. (or if you want to stay in cu. ft., use Vas = 1.2 ft^3 and Vb = 1.5 ft^3)

Also, for a closed box, you should try to find a size for Vb that gives Qc = 0.60 or possibly 0.71 if reasonable. The manufacturer data in a previous link indicates an opitimum closed box size.

they claim a .8ft^3 sealed box will yield an F3 of 37hz. Winisd has my 1.5ft^3 sealed box at F3 40hz. It may be splitting hairs but something seems off. In a box over 50% larger shouldnt the F3 freq go down?

The manufacturer will put whatever numbers look good on their products.
-3dB from what? The high-Q peak? 100Hz? Somewhere else?

You can see for yourself what'll happen as you vary cabinet size in WinISD.

Chris

Hi All,

FYI: Complementing GM's Post#6....

b :)

Attachments

• NVX VCW124-DVC.JPG
    NVX VCW124-DVC.JPG
    859.9 KB · Views: 142
  • NVX VCW124-DVC_ML-TL.JPG
    NVX VCW124-DVC_ML-TL.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 111
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi all...

I'm using a single NVX VCW124 in a 1.5ft^3 sealed enclosure. I've been trying to figure out the F3 of this combo but cant seem to get winisd to accept the t/s parameters for some reason. I also tried to figure it out using some math formula i found online but that too didnt pan out. I'm sort of at the end of my rope here. I'm happy with the set up, this is just a nagging curiosity that driving me crazy.

t/s parameters-

Xmax 20 mm
Fs 26
Vas 33.79 L
Sd 73.06
Qts 0.465
SPL 85
QES 0.490 1

Your answer, based on sealed box theory, is 40Hz
Qtc = 0.62 will benefit from closer-to-boundary location, than what might be visually appealing. This seems like a small driver, so real world F3 might not agree with theoretical F3.

Your answer, based on sealed box theory, is 40Hz
Qtc = 0.62 will benefit from closer-to-boundary location, than what might be visually appealing. This seems like a small driver, so real world F3 might not agree with theoretical F3.

Hi Scott L,All

Your Calculation could be correct if the given T/S Parameters are reliable..But they are totally screwed up or fake :eek:, so your calculations of Qtc and f-3dB is worth nothing as the given Parameters consistency fails if an examination uses cross calculation.

Have a look at:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...-help-finding-f3-enclosure-nvx-vcw124-dvc-jpg

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Scott L,All

Your Calculation could be correct if the given T/S Parameters are reliable..But they are totally screwed up or fake :eek:, so your calculations of Qtc and f-3dB is worth nothing as the given Parameters consistency fails if an examination uses cross calculation.

Have a look at:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...-help-finding-f3-enclosure-nvx-vcw124-dvc-jpg

Sorry, I did not know they were fake. I was just trying to help, but as you know, "No good deed goes unpunished"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.