Help me design 1x18 build (18DS115-4)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I decided I'm just going to go ahead and buy the 18DS115-4 driver since it's available to me at a discount.

I've never built a subwoofer.

Need to know what I need to purchase to maximize this driver.

Rules:

1. Enclosure needs to be 6 cubic feet or less.
2. Enclosure needs to be rectangular, preferably without makeshift mdf hornways inside unless someone can convince me it's REALLY worth it in a box this size.
3. It's going to be used mostly for music.
4. I don't really want to spend over $1,000 if possible. The driver was already about $450 so this doesn't leave much for an amplifier etc.

Question: How would the Dayton 4 cubic foot flatpack work for a sealed design? Denovo Audio Knock-Down MDF 4.0 cu. ft. Subwoofer Cabinet for Dayton Audio 18" Reference Series HO

What's your application?

Chris

About 90% 2.1 home audio. Some theater. The mains are going to be pretty flat down to 60 Hz so I really don't need much performance beyond that. I would feel comfortable setting a low crossover.

Looking around at some of the designs that have been explored around the forum, the easiest thing to build that seems to have a lot to offer is the cubo 18. I was avoiding trying to do a folded horn build because it seems like a lot of extra work just to get a little more output... What do you think? Also, which is the most up to date design?

Last edited:
Cubo is a PA subwoofer. Lots of output down to 40Hz, basically nothing below that IIRC.

For home audio with an 18", you can aim for 20Hz just fine. A Q=0.7 sealed box for that driver would be pretty small, but could get low with some EQ.

What sort of SPLs are you looking for?

Chris

Hi All,

FYI: B@C_18DS115-4 in a ~4 cu.ft Sealed Box + PEQ:

b:)

Attachments

• B@C_18DS115-4.JPG
    B@C_18DS115-4.JPG
    577.6 KB · Views: 255
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.