30Hz 18" Tapped Horn Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ran some Shape Optimization simulations in Fusion 360 for the internal bracing.

You apply a load, and constraints, and it tells you where you can remove material. I'm not sure how accurate my inputs and outputs are, but it couldn't be worse than randomly drilled holes.

Attachments

• sub0.jpg
    sub0.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 443
  • sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 440
  • sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 436
  • sub3.jpg
    sub3.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 439
A compression chamber seals the driver from the horn and the rest of the environment. What is depicted as "20" in figure 6 in post #37 is a throat chamber, not a compression chamber, if it is to be called a "tapped horn".

My mistake, I should have typed DEcompression chamber.

The point is you can add a chamber before the throat to lower the compression ratio in a tapped horn.

I ran some Shape Optimization simulations in Fusion 360 for the internal bracing.

You apply a load, and constraints, and it tells you where you can remove material. I'm not sure how accurate my inputs and outputs are, but it couldn't be worse than randomly drilled holes.

With pretty bracing like that, the enclosure deserves at least 1 plexiglass side panel!

I built it! Twice. Screwed it up the first time, redesigned(simplified) and tried again!
(Redesigned with help from Alethia Sound!)

Attachments

• sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 112
  • sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 93
  • subH.jpg
    subH.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 103
  • subG.jpg
    subG.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 103
  • subF.jpg
    subF.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 86
  • subE.jpg
    subE.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 98
  • subD.jpg
    subD.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 104
  • subC.jpg
    subC.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 98
  • subB.jpg
    subB.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 92
  • subA.jpg
    subA.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 243
The final hornresp charts

(measurements to come!)

Given the physical layout of that TH, S1 seems to be off, and the expansion between S3-S4 and S4-S5 looks a bit off as well. You might end up with a more accurate model using the "TH1" option in Hornresp, which puts the driver at S3 instead of S4, leaving S4-S5 to be used to describe the expansion after the driver.

Attachments

• 2019-09-05.png
    2019-09-05.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.