ROAR15

SUBWOOFER STRUCTURE AND ADJUSTING METHOD - diagram, schematic, and image 05

Here is the patent behind the Aura Audio XQ48. It is not a ROAR design, but they seem to use a stepped tapped pipe design with more similarities then differences from the ROAR.

It is a stepped tapped pipe high order BP design like the ROAR.
Thank you Ballfred1 for the video and information about Aura Audio. I had never heard of them before.

regards
Johannes

Screenshot from 2019-04-06 07-52-22.png

A love the slightly chocked look in his face when the midbass punch hits. :D
He starts to back away and looks quite surprised.

I can relate to this experience from when I have pushed my ROAR design with some real power. I would guess that the ROAR series has an even more pronounced mid bass attack and punch due to a plane loading of the driver and the front resonator and the symmetrical layout.

SUBWOOFER STRUCTURE AND ADJUSTING METHOD - diagram, schematic, and image 05

Here is the patent behind the Aura Audio XQ48. It is not a ROAR design, but they seem to use a stepped tapped pipe design with more similarities then differences from the ROAR.

It is a stepped tapped pipe high order BP design like the ROAR.
Thank you Ballfred1 for the video and information about Aura Audio. I had never heard of them before.

regards
Johannes

That patent is bogus. Folks been building those enclosures for years.

At my visit, I got a chance to listen to the AURA Sub. In my oppinion, this was the most interresting design. They put out a lot of punch and SPL - this was certainly impressive if you consider what others showed. I got the impression, this was by far the best Volume/output ratio standing on the demo field. Had a nice talk with the inventor, very nice guy, very open minded.

Happy to see alternative approaches and solutions, there are still a fair few out there providing something other than BR, good, there are so many other, and in my opinion better, things to design than BR for LF reproduction, especially when it comes to punch and clarity, this is my opinion, valid for me alone, you may disagree and that's completely fine.

2x18 BR is the industry standard, but why? what does it do that is so significantly better? sensitivity is so so compared to FLH's and TH's, and in most cases (and again in my own opinion) the fall short in terms of SQ, the BR's strong points as far as I can tell is that they have a convenient format, they are easy to design, and they can be designed to dig deep with decent SPL in a relatively small form factor, although it takes a lot of power, and most people can work with them (predictable performance characteristics), but is it really the best that we can do?

Probably because of Hoffman's Law. The PA industry chooses size and efficiency since apparently they don't listen to music below 40hz. They also think any music that is not played with a live instrument is not REAL music. With that mindset, if the string bass plays to 40hz and the kick drum plays to 50hz, then what is the incentive to innovate between 20 to 40hz???

The ROAR15 made it's first public debut yesterday at a DIY Hifi fair in Mölnycke just outside Gothenburg, I had about 30min to set everything up before visitors showed up (due to rental car pick up time) so I had to skip the polish and just go for the important bits, then perhaps tune things slightly here and there during the day.

After positioning the speakers and hooking everything I went for 48dB/Oct LR at 158Hz on the ROAR15's since that had seemed to work before, and put the delay for the top system at 2,6m and set the gain the same for both, picked up my old PAA2 handled RTA (Phonic) and had a look at the spectral and listen, some slight EQ later the first listeners showed up so that's about all I manged, and it was fine, not great, but fine.

I had a lot of positive comments and questions about the ROAR15's during the day, and I do mean a lot, I have heard them sound better, but at those times I have also had a lot more time to get things right, I will post pictures are they are uploaded on the forum thread for the event.

Until the pictures shows up I can share this video taken by one of the visitors and some comments.

YouTube

The guy who recorded it writes :
"Anders Martinssons Circlomanens konstruktioner! Här fick jag dagens första helkroppsgåshud från fötterna till hjässan, spelar in från en IPhone och sitter inte optimalt för inspelning ta det för vad det är."

Translated:
Anders Martinssons and circlomanens designs! Here I got the first whole-body goose bumps sensation of the day, from the feet to the top of my head! I'm recording on an Iphone and not the ideal listening position, so take it for what it is.

Not in the near future no, come summertime there might be a chance we could test it properly outdoors, if we rent a proper amp for it that is, and ideally also a top system that can keep up, I find it near impossible to judge bass performance without a well integrated top system.

At the fair, having notified the listeners present (and gotten acceptance) that it will get kind of loud for a short time I ran my mighty LABip450 (100w into 8Ohm) into clip indication, not that it would say anything about anything performance wise (100W into a 15SW115...) but sure, there where some decent levels in the room, clearly felt in the chest area, but other than that no greater findings and I did not expect any.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Not in the near future no, come summertime there might be a chance we could test it properly outdoors, if we rent a proper amp for it that is, and ideally also a top system that can keep up, I find it near impossible to judge bass performance without a well integrated top system.

At the fair, having notified the listeners present (and gotten acceptance) that it will get kind of loud for a short time I ran my mighty LABip450 (100w into 8Ohm) into clip indication, not that it would say anything about anything performance wise (100W into a 15SW115...) but sure, there where some decent levels in the room, clearly felt in the chest area, but other than that no greater findings and I did not expect any.

can you take the time to make high quality measurements in the same way as data-bass?
Data-Bass
this would allow comparison of your design to similar systems.

The tactile and physical impact of the ROAR series comes partly from the large front area frontresonator being tuned with a slight peak to the middle of the midbass 65 - 120Hz or so.
But pure linear simple sinewaves or more complex waveforms made up of several simple linear sinewaves does not have much "impact" or "punch".
With linear sinewave based acoustic energy you must match the resonant frequency of whatever you want to impact (chest, walls, etc) reasonable close to get an efficient transfer of energy.

With nonlinear non-sinewave based acoustic energy from say a sonic boom, a lightning strike, a kick drum, a hard plucked bass string, the rich content and nonlinear character of the steep unsymmetric waveforms transfers energy to the chest, walls etc much more easily despite the lack of closely tuned resonant frequencies.