Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ROAR15
ROAR15
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2019, 08:34 AM   #61
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I am on some quite powerful pain meds and iv-antibiotics so please excuse me if I come across a bit strange or use the wrong words and terms.

With the ROAR series we wanted to create a loudspeaker that is better at faithfully reproduce the nonlinear acoustic character of music and the highly non-linear and non-sinusoidal content of modern home theater low frequency channel.

The driver couples directly into the large plane wave frontresonator, and we tried to couple the other side of driver as plane and direct as possible via a split path TP section. Compared to the THAM where the driver couples gradually at a 90 degree angle over its total width into both tapps into the resonant expanding pipe section.

There is a lot of benefits with a plane short coupling.
The perceived level of details and the definition of non-linear modulations of the signal is spectacular (imho).
The cone and suspensions are never subjected to warping from an uneven distribution of pressure and a gradual distribution over time as in the THAM series.
The transference of power is much more instant, and partly explains why we never even came close to bottom out a cheap 12 inch car driver when excessively stress tested with a 5 kw amp.
It got hot and we where probably very close to frying the voice coil, but the ROAR prototype testbox held the driver extremely firm and controlled at all times.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:48 AM   #62
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The extreme opposite of this would be a bass reflex box.
Due to the soft springy character of a mass of air, it takes several cycles to build up the full amplitude respons of the Helmholtz resonator. Leaving several wavelengths of time where the driver is free to move in an less controlled way (risking bottoming out) before the port starts to fully resist and control the motion of the cone.

Transients are not a gradual build up energy and this makes it quite obvious why people prefere midbass horns to bass reflex for a life like reproduction of drums.
Old 16th April 2019, 04:50 PM   #63
esl 63 is online now esl 63
diyAudio Member

Circlomanen and others.. i heard Earl Geddes talking about low frequency perception of the ear.
I have been quite off track and i guess most us.
He describes that at high frequencies (4kHz as an example) we detect the signal instantly (milli seconds). But at low frequency below 100 Hz we need a couple of cycles to determine that there is a sound... That is how the ear is made. And if we look at the wavelength at 100 Hz and consider a couple of periods before detection we realise that time alignment, or moving a subwoofer closer or further away doesn´t effect our perseption. Thats why you can have 4 separate subs in each corner of the room and for our ears they will play coherent!
So even if i hate BR i guess it is for other reasons and not for the timing. I hate it because it will pressurice my room and act as a monopole triggering all reverbant nodes in the room, but my dipole bass will not pressurice the room and only trigg one room mode.
So what i want to hear and see is a tapped horn dipole speaker!
Maybe two Roar side by side playing in opposite direction and one of them plays in opposite phase!
Patent?

ROAR15Hide this!Advertise here!