Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ROAR15
ROAR15
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2019, 05:37 PM   #51
martinsson is offline martinsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The ROAR15 made it's first public debut yesterday at a DIY Hifi fair in Mölnycke just outside Gothenburg, I had about 30min to set everything up before visitors showed up (due to rental car pick up time) so I had to skip the polish and just go for the important bits, then perhaps tune things slightly here and there during the day.

After positioning the speakers and hooking everything I went for 48dB/Oct LR at 158Hz on the ROAR15's since that had seemed to work before, and put the delay for the top system at 2,6m and set the gain the same for both, picked up my old PAA2 handled RTA (Phonic) and had a look at the spectral and listen, some slight EQ later the first listeners showed up so that's about all I manged, and it was fine, not great, but fine.

I had a lot of positive comments and questions about the ROAR15's during the day, and I do mean a lot, I have heard them sound better, but at those times I have also had a lot more time to get things right, I will post pictures are they are uploaded on the forum thread for the event.
Old 14th April 2019, 09:15 PM   #52
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool!
Old 15th April 2019, 07:17 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Until the pictures shows up I can share this video taken by one of the visitors and some comments.

YouTube

The guy who recorded it writes :
"Anders Martinssons Circlomanens konstruktioner! Här fick jag dagens första helkroppsgåshud från fötterna till hjässan, spelar in från en IPhone och sitter inte optimalt för inspelning ta det för vad det är."

Translated:
Anders Martinssons and circlomanens designs! Here I got the first whole-body goose bumps sensation of the day, from the feet to the top of my head! I'm recording on an Iphone and not the ideal listening position, so take it for what it is.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:30 AM   #54
Sabbelbacke is offline Sabbelbacke  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanx for the report and the video. Any plans to go to the limits in a live-situation PA/Club?
Old 15th April 2019, 12:21 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Not in the near future no, come summertime there might be a chance we could test it properly outdoors, if we rent a proper amp for it that is, and ideally also a top system that can keep up, I find it near impossible to judge bass performance without a well integrated top system.

At the fair, having notified the listeners present (and gotten acceptance) that it will get kind of loud for a short time I ran my mighty LABip450 (100w into 8Ohm) into clip indication, not that it would say anything about anything performance wise (100W into a 15SW115...) but sure, there where some decent levels in the room, clearly felt in the chest area, but other than that no greater findings and I did not expect any.

Last edited by martinsson; 15th April 2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:34 PM   #56
Sabbelbacke is offline Sabbelbacke  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsson View Post
... I find it near impossible to judge bass performance without a well integrated top system.
Very true!

Quote:
... clearly felt in the chest area, ....
Which - of course - is not hard for any 15" PA Sub used in a Hifi-Environment

Thank you for your nice work, always following discussion.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:03 PM   #57
bob4 is offline bob4  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm itching to build one....... ��
Old 15th April 2019, 02:46 PM   #58
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Quote:
Not in the near future no, come summertime there might be a chance we could test it properly outdoors, if we rent a proper amp for it that is, and ideally also a top system that can keep up, I find it near impossible to judge bass performance without a well integrated top system.

At the fair, having notified the listeners present (and gotten acceptance) that it will get kind of loud for a short time I ran my mighty LABip450 (100w into 8Ohm) into clip indication, not that it would say anything about anything performance wise (100W into a 15SW115...) but sure, there where some decent levels in the room, clearly felt in the chest area, but other than that no greater findings and I did not expect any.
can you take the time to make high quality measurements in the same way as data-bass?
Data-Bass
this would allow comparison of your design to similar systems.
Old 15th April 2019, 05:35 PM   #59
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
....clearly felt in the chest area...
Chest area isn't around 120Hz?
Old 16th April 2019, 08:00 AM   #60
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The tactile and physical impact of the ROAR series comes partly from the large front area frontresonator being tuned with a slight peak to the middle of the midbass 65 - 120Hz or so.
But pure linear simple sinewaves or more complex waveforms made up of several simple linear sinewaves does not have much "impact" or "punch".
With linear sinewave based acoustic energy you must match the resonant frequency of whatever you want to impact (chest, walls, etc) reasonable close to get an efficient transfer of energy.

With nonlinear non-sinewave based acoustic energy from say a sonic boom, a lightning strike, a kick drum, a hard plucked bass string, the rich content and nonlinear character of the steep unsymmetric waveforms transfers energy to the chest, walls etc much more easily despite the lack of closely tuned resonant frequencies.

ROAR15Hide this!Advertise here!