JL 12W0 re-foam and amplifier question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, first post... :)

I have just completed my first DIY audio project, restoring to life my teenage sub woofer.

I ordered a kit from eBay and found it surprisingly easy, given the horror stories I had heard about the results of not centring the cone properly.

I refoamed it and want to add it to my home cinema system.

I have a Toshiba M15 power amp kicking around which I pressed into service to try it out, bridging it as per the manual but unfortunately the sub is 4ohms and the amp protection circuit kickes in very early and the amp gets very warm. It lowers the sub much better using one channel in non bridged mode but I think i’ll Kill this amp with this sub and so was after some advice from you sage gentlemen here.

I’m after an amplifier to power the sub and would like a plate amp ( I think they are called... ) , ideally in kit form so I can exercise my rusty soldering and electronic skills.

The sub is in the moment in it’s old car sealed box (around 1.25 cubic ft) and so I’ve been toying with building a new box for it to integrate the amplifier at al.

What are the options please chaps, I have done some research and have been looking at various TAS5630 based boards but would be grateful for some advice.

With thanks,

Flash

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.