Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

horn sub(s) for WE13a horns?
horn sub(s) for WE13a horns?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2018, 10:01 PM   #1
noviygera is offline noviygera  United States
diyAudio Member

Default horn sub(s) for WE13a horns?

As everyone knows, the WE13a are 14ft long, curled horns that play down to about 100hz.

I plan to get these going in my music room. Now the question is what should I consider for a subwoofer(s) to complement the 13a horns below 100hz.
My room is about 550sq.ft. / 51 sq.m.

Open baffle and infinite baffle bass is out of question for me. My first thought would be a single 14 ft. long bass horn, for proper time alignment. What are your thoughts on this and particularly, what do you guys think I can get out of a 14' long bass horn?

thanks,
Herman
Old 12th October 2018, 03:45 AM   #2
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Herman,

You could get as much as 20- 200 Hz from a 14' FLH.

Art
Old 12th October 2018, 08:58 PM   #3
noviygera is offline noviygera  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Horn sub

I would even be happy with 30-200hz!

If that is the case, I would seriously consider going with a horn sub. It may be a single unit, placed between the

Other than modeling the horn in HornResp, which I have not used before, what would be my next step in getting this project moving along? Driver selection?
Old 14th October 2018, 06:36 PM   #4
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Herman,

There are quite a few design considerations in integrating a horn system. In room measurement of the pair of the WE13a would be a good start for the project. Once you determine what the levels to match (or exceed) are, you narrow down what is required to "keep up".

Although the thread below degenerated into some personal squabbles, it also presented a number of models and alternatives along the lines of what you may be looking for, other than the construction material the OP likes to work with ;^) :

Concrete Bass Horn Design Question

Art

Last edited by weltersys; 14th October 2018 at 06:46 PM.

horn sub(s) for WE13a horns?Hide this!Advertise here!