Win ISD, RMS, program power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am doing some work on Win ISD pro, now simulating Xmax, I read the help file for Win ISD, it says that for the xmax graph you can choose RMS or peak power and that it is both sinusoidal waveform simulations.
My question is, if I wanted to make a power values instruction manual for the speaker cabinet, then I would write what Win ISD shows as RMS (sinus) and Program power (music material) double the value?

I'm not sure about the definitions in WinISD so I cannot comment on that.

Another point to take into account is that woofers can have an Xmech that is much larger than Xmax. Furthermore, coil drive usually is weaker when Xmax is exceeded. So mechanical power handling can be higher than WinISD predicts. This is primarily relevant for PA woofers.

Nominal thermal power handling (stated as a power assuming a constant impedance, so it really is a voltage) is influenced by how much power is really dissipated in the coil. This in turn depends on the impedance curve. Putting the woofer in a vented box causes the impedance to be low at the tuning frequency, so power dissipated around that frequency is high. If this frequency corresponds to the frequency at which the power spectrum of music peaks (some sorts of dance boom at 50 Hz) the dissipated power is high, for a given voltage. On the other hand, if it's a closed box the impedance is high and power dissipation low, meaning you can apply a higher voltage (hence a higher nominal thermal power handling) before the coil starts to burn. In other words, the cabinet influences nominal thermal power handling.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.