New sub replacing 2x30w54 in a 500ltr vented box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many years ago I built everything myself including the low end in my system which is two in-wall built vented boxes at 500ltr each and two Dynaudio 30w54 in each enclosure.
In many ways they still sound great with a simulated -3db at 17Hz even though they actually, in room measure straight down to 10hz using REW and UMIK-1, not sure that's true but subjectively they go crazy deep and still clean at the really deep end.

I have a couple of issues though and the first being that they bottom out or play paper as I say and with my new Emotiva XPA gen 3 power amp, it’s obvious they can't take the power (which I knew designing it but power has become less expensive and with room correction it stresses things)
Also the upper(ish) bass is a bit boomy and not as tight/clean as I would want so I have started to think I need new drivers.

Problem is I've lost touch with what's good these days and hoping to get help or ideas what I could replace the four 30w54 units with.

I can't go much bigger than two 12 inch (maybe 13) but I could potentially make place for 6-8 6.5 inch speakers if that would give me any benefits.
Power is not an issue nor is cost, I just want to make it as good as I can given the vented enclosure.
Ideally still a bit under 20Hz and linear up to 140dB @ 20hz (not sure that's possible) with a tight and clean usable range up to 200Hz.

Suggestions or ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Is there a possibility of reducing volume in your fairly large enclosures? It would be worth a look at Rythmik’s DIY direct servo subs, possibly the 15” vented versions. I have the 12” sealed versions and they go low, loud and clean. How loud the 15” versions would go will depend on your room.

Cheers,

Matt.

I found speakerbuilder pro on the web and simulated a few newish elements and it seems I get similar issues, there is just no way I can combine sub 20Hz frequency response and get within x-max at 20Hz with 150w per speaker on any of the options I found, I was way over on all and the difference was not that big vs the 30w54 I have.

I can't fit larger than 12 inch and changing the size of the enclosure is to messy.

The best option I found was SB Accustics SB34NRX75-6 and get this, 150w
reflexBoxFrequency.png

reflexBoxConex.png

refleksGroupDelay.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.